Dreams

June 2020

Jackie's POV

It's been a couple of days since my encounter with Hunter but its also been a few days since I hung out with Amora. Since then I haven't been able to sleep good. It's not that I'm having trouble falling asleep its that I'm having trouble staying asleep because of my dreams. It's those types of dreams that feel so real that when you wake up you have to take a step back and realize it was only a dream. These dreams keep me tossing and turning like if someone is pulling me in two different directions. There's been this one dream that's been recurring that causes me to almost cry every time I wake up. 

The dream always starts with me in a hospital bed and I'm tired. To the left of me is a baby in a bassinet but I can't see the baby's face from where I'm laying. Suddenly the door swings open and it's a dark figure just staring at me. I go to protect the baby from the figure standing in the doorway but when I look at the bassinet it's empty. That's when I look up to the dark figure holding the baby crying. The dark figure steps in to the light revealing that its Hunter. He gives me a devil smirk and walks out of the room with the baby screaming in his hand. I always try and get up but never can because it feels like the weight of the world is on my chest. 

That's always the point of where I wake up in a cold sweat. I had that dream today and I'm so tired of waking up to it. Luckily the sun was out meaning that the day has started for many people. I rub my eyes and stretch reaching for my phone. It's currently 6:34 way earlier than I usually like to get up especially if it's a 7:10 game start. I check my phone and all I have is the usual notifications like twitter, instagram and snapchat. For the next hour or so I scroll on Instagram trying to distract myself and keep me busy. As I was about to get up to go take a shower there was a knock on my door. 

Before the whole thing with Hunter happened I would go up to my door no problem. Now I'm on edge about almost anything. I use to be so independent go do errands by myself, after the games walk to my car by myself, go shopping by myself but the past few days I've been wanting other people to come with me. First Analea offered to go run some errands with me, than Jack went with me to go grocery shopping with me, and luckily Corey has been walking me to my car after the games. I did tell Corey what happened between Hunter and I just because our friendship is growing everyday that I didn't want to hide this from him. Also I needed to tell him why I needed to have him walk me to my car.  Corey took it better than I expected to be honest. I thought he would go grizzly bear on me and try to be over protective. I could tell that he wasn't too happy about my ex threatening me but I think he could tell I didn't want him to make a big deal about it. 

I grab a knife from the kitchen and make my way to the door. I look through the peephole and see that it's Corey I put the knife down by the end table by the door. Corey smiles as I open the door causing me to erupt into a smile. "Hey Core, what are you doing here?" I open up the door wider so he can come in. "Well uh I think someone missed you." Corey moves his hand from behind his back to expose an adorable Hazel. Hazel barks at Corey to let her down to which he abides to. I laugh at how much Hazel has Corey wrapped around her little paw. He looks up at me with an amused smile causing me to blush. Wait, why am I blushing? Corey is my friend... that I've slept with...on accident. 

"Honestly I think that Hazel misses having someone to play with. Every time when I was at the stadium Mady would play with her while I was gone." I bring Corey in to a hug knowing that he's still struggling with his break up with Mady. I mean they were High School sweethearts they were together forever. A break up like that isn't healed over night. I mean it still hearts that Oliver called it off with me too. Although I could never imagine the amount of heart break Corey is feeling. "Aww poor baby Hazel." Corey pulls out of the hug and smiles down at me while I return one back to him. "Honestly, I came here to ask if you would come on a walk with Hazel and I. I would have went on a walk with some of the guys but they're all busy this morning." As Hazel is running around my apartment I look up at Corey and nod my head. 

~~

We start our walk with Hazel by the nearby park right next to my apartment. It's around the time where people are finishing up their runs, others are starting to walk their dogs and parents are bringing their energetic kids to get their energy out. We walk side by side mostly in silence, but its not an uncomfortable silence it's a contempt silence. "So, I know we see each other everyday but how've you been?" Hazel pulls on her leash causing Corey to shoot forward a bit as he gets her to calm down. "Um, honestly? I've definitely been more anxious than usual." We continue to walk a bit more as I can tell Corey is deep in thought. "I know it's probably not my place to say but why didn't you ever put a restraining order on Hunter?" 

Luckily Hazel took a potty break because that question took me back. Why didn't I ever put a restraining oder on Hunter? Oh, that's right because my brother would never believe me that his best friend could hurt me. Or the fact that I would feel bad because that means my brother wouldn't be able hang out with Hunter while we're both home. "I'm sorry, you don't have to answer that Jackie." He grabs my shoulder to bring me out of my train of thoughts. "No, no you're fine Corey. I really never gave it a thought which I know is dumb of me. I think I would just feel bad since Hunter and my brother are really close." Hazel starts to walk again and Corey looks at me confused. "Why would you feel bad? Your brother is supposed to protect you from these things." I sigh knowing he was right but I never wanted to tell Ryland about what happened because I never wanted him to look down on. "I just never told my brother what happened. I didn't want him or my parents to look down on me and be like 'oh poor Jackie'." Corey stops dead in his tracks and faces me face on. "Listen Jackie, no one will think less of you, I promise. If anything they'll think you're a strong human being for having to put up with a monster like Hunter." Corey looks me straight in the eye causing me to feel intimated and put my head down. His strong hands grabs my jaw making me look in to his eyes. "Thank you Corey." He rubs his thumb back and forth on my cheek while I lean into his hand. "Of course Jackie." With that we finish up our walk. 

Author's Note

So what'd you think? We're starting to see more action between Jackie and Corey which is so exciting! I know this story has been going at a slower pace but I promise you things will start to speed up soon. I hope you guys enjoyed also happy 4th of July! I'm actually going to the dodger game today and I'm so excited! Ok, so don't forget to follow me for updates on the story and to vote, and comment. Ok byeee!