Not a rebound

June 2020

Jackie's POV

Corey and I walked back to my apartment with an exhausted Hazel in his left hand. We get to my apartment and open the door for both of us. Corey stands outside for a minute taking off Hazel's leash to let her free. Once she's free Hazel follows me in to the kitchen to get her some water to drink. With my back to Corey and Hazel I can feel an intense stare at the back of my head, and I know it can't be Hazel. I grab a bowl from my cupboard and start to fill it up with water when I turn around and Corey's leaning on the doorframe starting at me. A blush rises up to my cheeks as I continue what I'm doing. I place the bowl on to the ground for Hazel to drink, and I bring back my attention to Corey. "What are you looking at?" I move my hands up to my hair to fix my ponytail when I notice Corey licking his lips. "Nothing, nothing just uhh thinking." He runs his hand through his hair as he walks closer to me. "Is there anyway I could get some water I'm kinda thirsty?" I nod my head and quickly make my way to the fridge to get him a water bottle. I hand him the water bottle which he gladly takes and starts to drink it. 

I move away from the kitchen over to the living room to take off my shoes. Corey follows me to the living room water in hand when I notice how tall he really is. I mean my apartment isn't the smallest but it just feels tinier now that a 6'4 presence is in the room. "You can sit Corey, make yourself at home." I like how although Corey has been in my house before and we have done some promiscuous things in here his southern gentleman traits take over him. Corey makes his way over to my couch sitting suspiciously close to me. I look over at him and his smug face gives me smirk. "You know Jackie, I really appreciate everything you've done for me." His eyes still showed some pain behind them. All I could do was nod as Corey for the second time that day Corey moved his hand to my cheek. I lean in to his hand as Corey leans in closer to me. I could tell Corey wanted to kiss me and I wanted to kiss him too but the thought in the back of my head consumes me and all I could think is that I was his rebound. 

His other hand sneaks it's way to my waist pulling me even closer to him. "Corey" I let out barely a whisper. His nose brushes up against my cheek asking for permission. I close my eyes and let his lips capture mine. The last two times we've kissed they've always been hungry kisses like he's been starving of affection for years. But this kiss, man the way he kissed me this time it was so subtle, so mind blowing. His tongue gently asks for permission but that's when it hit me. I need to stop, this isn't right, I can't be jumping in to a relationship right now. I move my hand on to his chest and push myself away from him. Both out of breath our foreheads rest against each other. "Corey we need to talk." He grabs my hand from his chest kisses them and nods. 

"Corey, I'm sorry but I don't want to be your rebound." As soon as it came out of my mouth he moved away from me with even more hurt in his eyes. "Is that what you think I'm doing Jackie?" My bad habit returns of scratching my chest and all I could do is nod my head. Corey shakes his head furiously at me with disbelief. "Jackie I know that it's only been a short amount of time since Mady and I broken up but I've had my eyes on you for a long time." Tears started to come to my eyes as I heard this information. Since the beginning of the season we've had something going on but now that I know we could actually be something scares me. Corey grabs my hands pulling my attention to him, "Jackie, please say something." I put my head in my hands as the tears start to come. "My life is messy right now, we're messy. I don't want your career to be effected because of me. I think it's best if you don't get involved with me." All he does is chuckle and licks his lips again. "Jackie, I don't care. Listen to me you're what I want. I want everything that comes with you mess and all." He wipes away my tears as I laugh at his testimony. 

"Corey, I can't. This will put my job in jeopardy." Corey shakes his head at me, grabs my hands and looks me straight in to the eye. "Please, Jackie this is no different from when you and Chris were a little thing or what ever you want to call it. Jackie I just want to show you the affection you deserve. Please let me be that guy for you because Jackie, I'm crazy about you." At that moment Hazel barks grabbing both of our attention. He picks her up from the ground and on to my couch. Hazel darts to me and starts to lick my tears away from my face. "Hazel is too." I laugh at the both of them as I look at what could be my future. Then, I start to think about my future career and what could come of that. I've always been independent and definitely didn't want to rely on a man for support. Having both my career and Corey would be risky I don't think anyone would approve but I do have to admit every time I'm with Corey he gives me such a warm feeling in my heart. "I'll think about it Corey. I just need time to think everything through. It isn't a no or a yes I just need time. I mean I just came out of a relationship too." 

He nods in agreement but I could definitely tell that it wasn't the answer he wanted. Sighing he gets up and reaches for my hand to help me up too. Once I was up I go in for a hug not knowing that this is what I needed right now. We didn't let go of each other for a good few minuets until Hazel starts to wine. "Well I should get going, I'll see you at the ballpark later on right?" I simply nod as he makes his way over to the door with Hazel in hand. Corey kisses my cheek and with that he leaves. 

Author's note

Kinda short but I hoped you guys liked this chapter. How about that Homerun Derby today? Man, Joc and Vladimir killed it! Anyways don't forget to comment, vote and follow me for updates on this story. Byeee