thirty

Days in the hospital, weeks in bedrest, and weeks of seeing everyone around me hurt.

It all came to an end.

I got out yesterday, but today was the day.

June 22nd, Saturday.

3 weeks after I got into the hospital.

And here I was, with Maya, my maid of honor.

Mia also tagged along.

"I wonder who Miles picked." Maya said from her seat.

"Probably no one. Miles isn't a social man." Mia said. She was making sure the dress I chose was a perfect fit.

"Yeah, but doesn't he know...like....a lawman?" Maya asked, playing with chopsticks.

"I can only think of Dick Gumshoe. That's really the only person he talks to. And even then, they don't talk too much. They're always caught up with work." Mia responded.

"There was- ow! -some mysterious man with him just a few weeks ago. I didn't get a good look." I looked in the mirror.

"Oh?" Mia said.

"Oh! What about Larry? Wasn't he...like...great friends with Larry?" Maya raised her chopsticks.

"Yeah, past tense. I haven't seen them talk for a few months now." I said.

"Must've been hard for you, though, Aya. You don't know many girls." Maya winked.

"Not really. The only hard thing was choosing you over Pearl. But then Pearl decided to be the flower girl, so that's that."

"Do you think Miles got a tux?" Maya asked.

"Nah. He's probably waiting out there in his casual outfit." I chuckled.

"If I see him out there in a bowtie I'm gonna scream." Mia giggled.

"Oh, and a little rose attached to the breast pocket!" Maya added.

That's actually....making me really wanna go see.

"I doubt it. He won't go anywhere without his jabot." I said.

"Isn't it a cravat?" Maya looked at me.

"No. Jabot." I said sternly.

"Okay." Maya giggled.

"But what are we doing talking about the groom? Look at the bride. She's gorgeous." Mia smiled, finishing the sizing.

The dress was a white one, with patterns of peach. It was long, yet beautiful. A soft train followed behind. The sleeves also had cuffs, which I knew Miles would like. It also came with a tiny lace choker that was colored peach.

"Oh, gee, Aya! You are gorgeous!" Maya stood up, standing next to me.

I chuckled, flattered.

"I remember I was supposed to get married. Oh, it'd be lovely to wear a dress like this." Mia rubbed my arm.

"I don't wanna get married. They're gonna get in the way of my spirit medium training." Maya said.

"Mia, this is a discreet wedding, right? If so, are you gonna show up?" I looked at my sister.

She thought, then nodded. "I wanna get in touch with my...well...lover, you can say. The only way to do that is go public. I just don't want interviews."

"Oh my, is it bad to see the bride before the wedding? I mean, I am not the groom, but still."

Mr. Edgeworth! You're here?!