Chapter 6

Betty was really enjoying writing again. She had Carried around a notebook and pen everywhere in the centre and she was always scribbling away. She wrote about how she was feeling and short little stories; literally anything she wanted to and she was loving it.

Betty woke up one morning and she was feeling strangely optimistic. She had a session with jughead that morning straight after breakfast and for once she wasn't dreading therapy. She quickly got dressed and headed for breakfast, grabbing some cereal. She still chose to sit on her own because she hadn't made any friends yet, it still scared her. After eating she went to jugheads office, ready to start the session. "Come in" jughead said after she knocked and he smiled when he saw her. "Hey betty" he smiled. "Hi" she said and gave him a small smile. "How are you today?" He asked. "I'm okay" she said as she sat down and jughead noticed that this was the first time she had answered that question since she'd been there; usually she just shrugged. "Okay So Shall we get started?" Jughead asked and pulled out Betty's file, ready to take notes. "Okay, So Betty. How have you found your first two weeks here? How do you feel that you've adjusted?" He asked and waited as she answered. "Erm.. it's been... hard" she admitted. "I... I feel trapped here but In my heart I know that I need to be here to get better" she added and jughead nodded. "And how about your addiction? How are you coping?" He asked. "I'm doing just that... coping" she said, not offering anymore than that and he nodded and didn't press the issue. "Okay one last question" he said. "As part of your treatment plan it's encouraged for you to make friends and have bonds with others here so you can have a support system" he started. "Betty, I think you should at least try and make a friend" he said and she sighed. "What about you?" She sighed. "What do you mean?" He asked. "Can't you be my 'bond'?" She asked and he laughed. "Yes Betty I can But I would still like you to try and make a friend" he said and she nodded. "Jughead?" She asked after a moment. "Yeah?" He said. "Erm.. can I ask something?" She said. "Of course" he smiled. "I was thinking... maybe I could keep a journal and write about how I'm feeling and everything and hand it to you every session? Because I find it easier to write my feelings and then you can still see how I'm doing?" She suggested and watched as a grin spread across his face. "That's a great idea Betty! I'll get you a journal later!" He agreed. "Thank you!" She said. "Okay then, that will be all for today's session" he smiled and she nodded, standing up. Right before she left his office, she stopped in the door and said "thank you by the way... for the books and notebooks.. it's means a lot" she smiled softly. "You're very welcome Betty" he smiled and watched as she left and couldn't help the happiness he felt at the progress they were making; she was finally letting him in a little bit.

At dinner jughead noticed Betty still sat on her own. "Here's your journal" he said, Sliding into the seat opposite her and handing her a purple journal. "Thank you" she said. "So, why don't you go and sit with someone?" He suggested and laughed when she groaned. "Maybe tomorrow" she sighed. "Go on betty" he smiled. "No time like the present" he added. She still didn't look convinced so he smiled softly at her and said "it will be a good thing, I promise". She stared at him for a moment, trying to work out if he was serious and when she saw he was she sighed and stood up. "Fine" she grumbled and he watched as she surveyed the room before choosing to sit next to a brunette boy, who was also sat on his own. He watched her for a while, making sure she was okay and when he saw the boy smiling and introducing himself and Betty doing the same, he left to go back to his office.

Jughead was about to leave to head back to his appointment when he bumped into someone. "Sorry" the person said and he recognised the voice. "Betty? What are you doing up so late?" He asked, concerned. "I wasn't sleepy, taking a walk always makes me sleepy" she told him. "Are you doing okay?" He asked and she nodded. "You look tired" he told her and she rolled her eyes "thanks". "I didn't mean it like that" he laughed. "Why don't you get some sleep?" He said, leading her back to her room. "Jughead?" She said before she opened her door. "You we're right by the way. I made a friend" she said and he saw the small smile on her face. "Really? That's amazing" he grinned. "Yeah, he's called Kevin and he wants to sit with me at breakfast tomorrow" Betty smiled and then yawned. "I knew it would work out, now get some sleep betts" he said, his eyes widening when he realised the nickname had just slipped out. He waited for Betty's reaction but she didn't seem bothered as she let out another yawn and opened her door. "Night juggie" she said before shutting the door; not noticing jugheads grin.