Chapter 40

Over the next couple of days, jughead noticed how Betty was a lot more sad and withdrawn, and it was hurting his heart to watch her feel so left out by Kevin and Ethel. He had observed the three of them for a day and he could see that Kevin was oblivious to Ethel purposely trying to leave Betty out, so jughead decided to step in and do something.

"Hey Kevin, can I come in?" Jughead asked, standing in the doorway of Kevin's room. "Sure" Kevin smiled, putting his comic book down. "What's up?" Kevin asked when jughead sat down at his desk. "I've come to talk to you... about Betty" jug started and Kevin grew concerned. "Is she okay?" He asked and jughead sighed. "Not really" he said. "She's been feeling really left out. By you... and Ethel" he explained and Kevin looked shocked. "I...i never..." Kevin stuttered but jughead cut him off. "O know you never meant to, but I think Ethel did" jughead said. "What do you mean?" Kevin asked, confused. "Betty broke down with me the other day about how she felt left out, and since I've been watching you guys and I think Ethel is purposely leaving Betty out" he told. "I never noticed" Kevin whispered. "Just watch her, when you guys hang out, and you'll see what I mean" jughead said, before leaving the room...

Betty was sat having lunch, sat on her own when Kevin and Ethel joined her. "Hey!" Kevin chirped. "Hi" Betty mumbled, pushing her food around on her plate. "How are you?" Kevin asked but as Betty was about to answer, Ethel spoke up. "So Kevin shall we do after lunch?" She asked and Kevin frowned. "Hang on Ethel, I was just speaking to Betty" he said, politely and Ethel glared at Betty who was sat wide eyed. "I..I'm okay" Betty stuttered. "That's great! So how about we hit up the gym later?" Kevin suggested and Betty smiled and nodded. "Oh! I'll come!" Ethel grinned, piping up again. "Great" Betty sighed to herself. After that, lunch carried on, but Betty was still keeping to herself, not quite sure what to make of Ethel. When they were done, they all headed back to their rooms to Change into their gym clothes, then met up at the gym. "I think I'm going to run on the treadmill first" Betty said, setting it up. All three of them were quiet as they worked out until betty moved to the weights and Ethel went over to her. "Are you sure you should be doing that?" Ethel said and Betty looked up at her, confused. "Doing what?" Betty asked. "Lifting Weights? Weren't you the girl who has to go to the hospital because she collapsed in here?" Ethel snarled. "Hey!" Kevin shouted before Betty could say anything else. "Betty was sick, but that was a while ago now and she's a lot stronger, so back off" he said, standing next to Betty. "I'm just saying, she can't keep up with us" Ethel started. "I mean you always relapse and your a drug addict, you will never get Better" she hissed and Betty felt tears sting her eyes. "Shut the fuck up Ethel!" Kevin snarled and ethels eyes went wide. "We're all in here for a reason, and Betty's getting better each day so leave her alone!" He yelled. "Betty is the sweetest girl ever and all week I've stood by and watched you belittle her and try and leave her out! But not anymore!" He growled. "She's my best friend and you're just a bitch, so does us a favour and stay out of our way!" He snapped and Ethel ran out the gym. "Are you okay?" Kevin said, spinning around to look at Betty. Betty didn't say anything just hugged him tight. "I thought you didn't want to be Friends with me anymore" she sniffed. "Oh B... never" Kevin sighed, hugging her tighter. "I'm so sorry I've been a bad friend" he said, pulling back to look at her. "It's okay" Betty smiled. "You're my best friend and I didn't see what she was doing, but your boyfriend talked some sense into me" Kevin chuckled and Betty giggled at that. "You're my best friend too" Betty smiled. "I love you B" Kevin grinned. "I love you too" she laughed and pulled him in for another hug. "Now, I have a session with Reggie but I promise I'll come and find you when I'm done and we can spend the rest of the day with each other, okay?" He said and Betty nodded. "Sounds great" she smiled.

When Betty left the gym she went straight to jugheads office and smiled when she saw him sat at his desk. "Hey baby" he grinned, holding his arms out for her. "Thanks for talking to Kevin" she smiled, sitting on his lap. "Is everything okay now?" He asked and Betty nodded, before explaining everything that happened with Ethel. "She said that to you?!" Jughead said in anger and Betty nodded. "Yeah... but I know it's not true, I'm more than my addiction and I am better, and I'm going to Continue to get better" she said and jughead grinned, holding her tight. "That's my girl" he smiled. "I'm so proud of you" he added. "I... I think I'm proud of me too" she said quietly. "You should be" jughead said, softly. "You're amazing" he said, kissing her softly. "I love you" she smiled, when they pulled away. "I love you too" he said.