Chapter 48

The next couple of days passed pretty quickly and before she knew it, Betty was waking up on her birthday. Sighing, she rolled over looking over at her room. She knew she should feel lucky to be sober, and have people that care about her but she couldn't shake the sadness that this day also brought for her. After laying in bed, she got up and ready to go and have breakfast. "B! Happy birthday!" A very cheerful Kevin squealed when he spotted her, hugging her tight. "Thanks Kev" she said, giving him the best smile she could. "Happy birthday Betty" reggie smiled when she sat down at their table. "Thank you" she said, before keeping her eyes down at her breakfast. The two others must have picked up on her somber mood because they didn't say anything else about her birthday. A few moments later, Betty felt two arms wrap around her from behind; arms she'd know anywhere. "Happy birthday baby" jug whispered in her ear, kissing her cheek before sitting down with his arm around her. "Thanks juggie" she whispered. "You okay?" He asked, quietly and she nodded. "So what does the birthday girl want to do today?" He asked, trying to lift the mood. "I don't know" she shrugged. "I might go and read outside" she said and kevin playfully rolled his eyes. "For starters you do that all the time, it's not special" he said. "And two, it's freezing" he added and Betty sighed. "I like doing that! And besides, unless you're all forgetting we're in rehab, we can't do anything" she deadpanned. "Doesn't mean you can't make your birthday special" reggie offered. "Leave it with me" jug said, kissing her softly before getting up and rushing off.

About an hour later, Betty was walking to Jugheads office for their session. However when she got there, there was a note on his desk:

Betts,

Meet me in your spot by the river.
Dress warm

Love you!
Jug <3

For the first time all day Betty let out a real smile as she looked down, reading the note. She stopped off in her room to pull a jumper on and grabbed her coat, before doing as the note said and joining jug outside. When she reached the river, she stopped in her tracks at what she saw. Her boyfriend, sat on a picnic blanket surrounded by all her favourite food and a birthday cake. "H...how?" She whispered, walking closer to him. "How did you do this?" She asked, looking around. "I have my ways, it's my girls birthday and I intend to make it an extra special one" he grinned, holding his hand out for to take. "I can't believe this... no ones ever done anything like this for me" she said, feeling her eyes start to water. "I want you to love your birthday betts, you deserve a day to be celebrated" he told her, pulling her into him as she hugged him tight. "I love you so much!" She whispered into his chest. "I love you too" he grinned. "Now come on, let's eat!" He announced, pulling them both down onto the blanket.

"This was amazing juggie" Betty gushed as she was laying on his chest, watching the water rush along the river. "I'm glad you enjoyed it" he said, running his fingers through her hair. "I really did, thank you" she said, gratefully. "You're welcome baby" he said. "Next year we can do something even better" he added. "Next year" she smiled. "I like the sound of that" she grinned. "I'm going to spend as many birthdays with you, as long as you'll have me" he teased. "I'll always want you juggie" she said, seriously, moving so she was laying on him, looking down over him. "Likewise baby" he grinned, before capturing her lips with his. "We should probably go inside, your nose is red and I don't want you to catch a cold" he said, sitting them both up and pressing a kiss to the tip of her nose.

Once they were inside, jug pushed her in the direction of her room. "Go and warm up and I'm going to grab us some hot chocolates, I'll meet you in your room" was all he said before he disappeared. After changing into some warm pyjamas, Betty got cosy under the blankets and waited for jug. A few moments later her opened her door and grinned at the sighed of her. "Adorable" he smiled. He was carrying a tray with two mugs of hot chocolate and a birthday cake. "You have to have cake on your birthday!" He exclaimed when he saw her looking at it. Jug climbed into bed next to her, pulling her into him before grabbing the cake and two forks. "Really juggie? You couldn't have cut it into slices" she giggled. "Nope! This is the best way" he grinned, handing her a fork as he dug in. "Mmm okay I trust you" she smiled, taking some and putting it in her mouth. "This is so good!" She moaned. Jug looked at her with nothing but love in his eyes. "Good birthday?" He asked. She looked at him and pecked his lips, licking the frosting of his lips. "The best!".