15 - THE ANGEL'S VOICE

"WHAT?!" Uhm... okay. Yesterday, he just thought he saw the woman behind his lullaby and now it's his love. 

"What did you say?" Chanyeol asked again making sure.

"It's my... voice." Chaeyoung admitted, looking embarrassed.

"But... didn't you say it's your mom's cassette tapes?" 

"Yeah. It's my mom's. I recorded my voice to give to my mom."

Chanyeol was still shocked.

"Okay... could you sit down first because my neck hurts looking at you." Chaeyoung said. Chanyeol didn't even realize he stood up because of disbelief.

"Where were we?" Chanyeol asked as he sat down which made Chaeyoung laugh.

"Oh yeah. The cassette. How again?" Chanyeol said as he snapped back to reality.

"Well, my mother gave me a cassette collection when I was younger. She gave me that to help me fall asleep when she's not around so I never felt lonely. So when she said she was gonna go to America, I thought why not give her too." Chaeyoung said but the smile she had when she started telling the story slowly faded.

"I just never got the chance to give her... She left earlier than expected and I wasn't able to finish the cassettes. When I finished and was planning to send it to her, I learned she already is getting married again." Chaeyoung's sadness shows through her eyes and it hits Chanyeol in his weak spots.

"She doesn't need it anymore since she's not lonely." Chaeyoung said forcing a laugh but her eyes never lie.

"Why do you still call it your mom's cassette when you made it?"

"I did not make it for me. I made it for her. So it's technically her's." Chaeyoung answered.

"Why did you even listen to it?" Chaeyoung suddenly asked.

Chanyeol was contemplating if he should tell her or not but seeing Chaeyoung's eyes revealing her mother's story made him realize something. He understood why Chaeyoung wanted to know his  story. She was always open and never hesitated to tell everything about her life... and it somehow made Chanyeol feel good knowing someone entrusts him so much, she wouldn't hesitate revisiting painful memories to share a part of her life to somebody else. Maybe it's time for him to share a piece of his life too... since he hopes, this person will be someone he shares his life with the rest of the way.

"You wanna go upstairs? I'm gonna show you something." Chanyeol said and reached out Chaeyoung's hand. They went upstairs holding each other and Chaeyoung could feel the shivers and the cold in Chanyeol's skin.

Chanyeol breathed one heavy sigh as he opened the door.

"This is my room." Chanyeol said then let go of Chaeyoung's hand.

"This was my old room. It looks beautiful." Chae was busy checking out the designs when an arm wrapped around her waist. 

"Come here." Chanyeol lead Chaeyoung and showed her a picture frame.

It showed a picture of a young boy between two adults, who seems to be the kid's parents.

"This was my family." Chanyeol said.

"was" Chaeyoung thought.

"Both of them died when I was younger." Chanyeol said but it's obvious tears are starting to well up in his eyes.

"It happened so... it was... I" Chanyeol can't bring himself to say it. He badly wants to tell Chaeyoung everything and open up to her completely but he is... scared. Just thinking about what happened slowly kills him.

Seeing Chanyeol's state, Chaeyoung cupped both of her hands to Chanyeol's cheeks and tilted his head to her direction. Looking in his eyes, Chaeyoung gave a smile and Chanyeol knew what she meant. He then replied with a smile and hugged her woman.

"It's fine. You'll be okay. I'm here." those are the words Chaeyoung wanted to transcend in her eyes and Chanyeol felt it.

The two settled down sitting on the side of the bed. Chaeyoung then held Chanyeol's hand to remind him that it's okay seeing how his thoughts still seems to be flying.

"I used to have nightmares. I had it since I was a kid... and even after growing up, it never left me." Chanyeol stopped to see if Chaeyoung was still looking while Chaeyoung leaned to his shoulders.

"And..." Chaeyoung said to let Chanyeol continue.

"I used to move houses quite often that's why I never had friends. Mrs Kim took care of me so she always brought Suho with her. That's why we became close although we have really different personalities." Chanyeol sighed and continued...

"I went to a psych, I did everything to help me through my nightmares and nothing seemed to work. It went to a point that I accepted that it was my punishment. Then Suho offered me the house and I said yes, just because it was a good deal. It was cheaper than my place but a lot bigger and more quiet. I did not expect it will change anything." 

"Are you still with me?" Chanyeol asked to make sure Chaeyoung was still awake which she is.

"Yes. I'm listening."

"Then we discovered the tapes. And Mrs Kim wanted it so she played it. Weirdly enough, It put me to sleep without even knowing it. I slept for more than 8 hours than hasn't happened since I dreamed my first first nightmare. It was the next day that we realized the beautiful voice in the cassette had something to do with it and we were able to confirm it after a week. It always made me feel like I was being watched over by a guardian angel that gave me peace."

"I actually believed it was an old woman who owned it because who the heck from 21st century would still use cassette tapes?" he added which made Chaeyoung remove her head on his shoulder faced him.

"Uhm... me?" Chaeyoung said pretending to look offended.

"Apparently." Chanyeol said which made both of them laugh.

"Hey about the kiss..." Chanyeol suddenly said and Chaeyoung then teased him.

"Oh. You know we kissed? You seemed uninterested afterwards." 

"Why are you here again?" Chaeyoung said mocking him.

Chanyeol just replied with a laugh and did not talk back. Normally, Chanyeol would also mock her and they would end up bickering but tonight he's just... softer?

"Would you like to stay here for the night?" Chanyeol asked which Chaeyoung replied with a laugh thinking he was joking but the guy seemed to be...

"Are you serious?" Chaeyoung asked and Chanyeol replied with a nod.

Chaeyoung then looked directly in his eyes and knew why he wanted her to stay.

"Okay... I'll sleep here tonight." Chaeyoung said which gave the man a smile on his face.

Chanyeol laid on the bed and Chaeyoung laid beside her. Both of them had difficulty sleeping. Chanyeol... still being reminded of his nightmare and Chaeyoung... being worried about Chanyeol. Chaeyoung then did something which caught Chanyeol off-guard. She lifted his head and placed it on her arms like a mother caressing a child.

"I'm here. Don't worry." Chaeyoung said then patted Chanyeol's head.

"Yes. You're here... and I'm thankful for it." then both of them dozed off to sleep.