Ch 1

Kindly click on the ⭐ button below your screen to signify a vote and comment your thoughts . I love reading them ❤❤❤

Word count: 1746

Are you a first time reader or a re reader? Comment below :-)

FTR — first time reader
RR — re-reader

*

Monica O’Brien slowly parted her eyelids as her ringing blared into life. Gritting her teeth in slight irritation because her eyes were still really heavy with sleep like the clouds with rain, she stretched her hand out tiredly to feel for her phone.

She'd spent the night working on a research that needed to be reviewed by her boss the next morning.

They involved her company’s deal with a new, fast growing company in the country and she was due to make her part of the presentation and gatherings to the board of directors at ten AM.

This had kept her busy for most of the night, with her only companion being several mugs of coffee to keep her head in the work and the sound of hushed voices from the television, sounding as background noise.

With a groan, Monica picked the phone and glided her index finger through the screen with droopy eyes, letting out a tired yawn. Her other hand swiftly dug into her honey pecan hair.

“Hello?”

“Someone is still sleepy.” Her younger brother, Andrew mumbled on the other line.

His voice was as clear as day and she could easily guess he had woken up earlier than the time he was calling. As usual, Andrew should be at his work place or on his way already.

“Good morning Drew.” She yawned again.

“Morning. How are you and my angel doing?”

“Very well. Your call woke me just now and I’ll check on her when I drop the call.” She tried to keep the irritation in her tone at bay, wondering why he called.

“Someone is eager to hang up.” He spoke teasingly.

Irritation easily seeped into Monica and she desperately hoped she wouldn’t have to lash out at someone so early in the morning. She was sometimes a morning person. That is, whenever she had a good sleep.

“And someone is eager to get cut off the phone if he doesn’t have any valuable reason for calling so early. Why did you call?” She spoke through gritted teeth.

He couldn’t have possibly called her at such an early hour of the day just to say nothing important. It was just too early.

“Okay, I’ll let you know why I called.” He added quickly with a light laugh. Monica knew why he was laughing and she did an eye roll. Drew knew his older sister wasn’t always a morning person and also knew she hated it whenever her sleep got interrupted during working days because most of those dawns, she would just be getting her version of a good sleep.

She checked the time on the nightstand and heaved a contented sigh.

It was just five O'Clock and she still had at least an hour more to nap before she could start preparing for the day because her overly generous boss had been kind enough to ask her to come in after eight thirty.

She knew the man had a little crush on her but never liked taking advantage of his feelings whenever he made such suggestions. However, this time, Monica would go for it.

She needed the rest so she wouldn’t end up with droopy eyes during the meeting full of professionals all dressed in intimidating suits and with a tense presentation. For the umpteenth time, Monica hoped everything would go well with the ten AM presentation.