Ch 7

Please support me by leaving a vote and a comment. If you like this book, I'd appreciate it if you could tell your friends about it and share the book with them. Thank you so much for the supports ♥️ you can follow me to get updates on my other books too.

Word count: 1516

*

Monica knocked on the door to Mr. Sullivan's office and heard a muffled 'come in'.

She opened the door with the stack of files in her hands and quickly turned around to shut the door while still speaking.

"Good morning sir, I already took the repo-" Monica paused in her sentence as looked up.

Lo and behold, the man sitting on the CEO's chair was none other than her darling ex husband, Mr. Sucre Ambrosia. His black tux clung to his torso firmly, fitting him like a second skin as he dominated the whole office with his masculine grace.

Monica stared at him with parted lips and wide eyes. Then those eyes turned to laser beams while he was relaxed in his chair like the Almighty Sucre Ambrosia that he was.

"Morning Moni, my sweet Moni. Did you sleep well?" Sucre asked with deep, velvety voice.

"That's none of your business. I'm guessing this is the sick game you're playing at, right? I know what you're trying to do, Sucre and I assure you I won't be a partaker of it. Here's the report for the construction Mr. Sullivan was working on." Monica took long strides towards the table and dumped the files on it with a thud. Her lips pursed grimly in discontent at what she was currently witnessing.

"You wound me, my dear Monica. By the way, how is our pretty daughter?" Sucre still asked despite her ill treatment.

Monica ignored him and turned around to head over to her desk. Then she realized something. "Are you now here to stay? I mean, have you relocated to Canada?"

Sucre's playful smile slipped off his face immediately. The air shifted around them, as if she had just struck a chord.

Monica noticed how Sucre's eyes shuttered as if he wanted to shut her out. But then he answered her with a smirk that made her breath hitch.

"Yes." Just that one single word.

How many thousand explanations were behind that simple word? She knew whenever he shut others out, it was because he presumed they would hurt him or use him. He was guarding himself against her and this surprised Monica, because she never thought she would be one of those he would ever look at that way.

Different questions quickly sprang up in her mind.

'How are you? I mean the real you, not the cocky bastard I've been speaking to since the elevator incidence yesterday.'

'Did you solve the case from years back?'

'Why did you cheat on me with that girl?'

'Why didn't you look for me earlier?'

'Are you still hurting? Is this all a facade?'

"Why?" Was all she could muster, her fists clenched tightly to her sides. Sucre turned in his swivel chair. Then his eyes rested on Monica and his serious, no nonsense expression was back on.

"Family is important, love. So I'm here to be close to my family." He replied thoughtfully. Monica couldn't help but observe how Sucre looked more mature when he spoke this way. He must have toughened up after all these years they had been apart. But that was no longer her problem. She needed to stay away from the man.

Still, the questioned lingered in Monica's mind. Why was Sucre truly here?

She heard he had gotten ten times richer than he was before...he had branches and companies in diverse countries all over the world. The two companies his grandma put in his care had now been multiplied by more than enough profits and had attracted foreign attention because Sucre's grandpa had been his business guide before the man died.