Ch 12

Another edited chapter. Please tell me your thoughts on this chapter through the comment section and share with your friends. Thank you 😍😍😍

Word count: 2298

*

Stephanie was enjoying the company of her five year old friend, Dixon.

Well, he wasn't really her friend. It would fit better if one called him her silent companion instead. True all the boy had focused on since he got to her house along with his mother, had been playing with her ponytail. Removing the hair band and bow, and then fixing it back.

But Stephanie was hopeful.

The moody boy that always acted like a grumpy old man and just spoken like someone very older than his age — whenever he decided to grace her with his words— was sitting beside her, and his hands hadn't once left her hair.

Stephanie scooted impossibly closer to him, but Dixon didn't seem to mind. She liked his blonde, shiny hair, which was tousled over his head. His mom would've probably made him comb it. Then to look cool, Dixon would have made it get tousled once again on top of his head.

"So, how is Dan? Did he truly change schools?" She decided to make conversation, smiling cheekily at the boy who had a blank facial expression. He surprised her by sparing her a glance.

"Hmm?"

Stephanie held in her squeal. He had just replied. Dixon Freshman hated talking, so this was a good sign if he made an attempt to reply her.

"You said Dan would change schools."

The boy quirked a brow as he bit back a smile and Stephanie's cheeks grew scarlet. She couldn't deny the fact that the boy she somewhat had a crush on looked better...dare she say, even very beautiful, whenever he tried to smile.

"Well..." She urged.

Then Dixon frowned and Stephanie found herself hating the expression. She wanted him to forever keep smiling. "Which Dan?"

"Your Dan."

"I have two Dans. My dog is Dante and then there's the other one, Daniel, my best friend." He said with a shrug of his shoulders. Stephanie couldn't help but think the boy looked cool whenever he shrugged this way.

Who was she kidding? Everything about him was cool.

And her curiosity was piqued even more. "Dan, is your best friend since diaper days. The one who comes to your place for sleepovers and the one you allow to use some of your pajamas. The one you cried over when he had stomach bug for three nights. Obviously I wouldn't be talking about your dog." She told him gently as if he couldn't comprehend English properly.

Dixon eyed the little girl while she smiled warmly as if remembering a far away incident.

At the dining, Monica was having a discussion with a teary eyed Veronica and advising her for the umpteenth time to leave her abusive husband. They'd been married for seven years now and Dixon was the only child. This was the second time Veronica would miscarry in three years and it was due to her husband's constant face smacks and slaps. He didn't hit with blows or hard punches, just thunder slaps on the stomach, butt and face.

She'd once hit her head on a stool and woke up in the hospital the fifth day after passing out, with her husband on his knees, begging furiously that he would change and become a better man. That was the year before. And he still hadn't changed. The women didn't want to let the children in on what was happening, so they had moved to the dining and were talking in hushed tones.

Back at the sitting room, Stephanie was still trying to get a response from Dixon, who was almost two years older than her.

"How do you know Dan?" Dixon's eyes widened, his jaw clenching. He didn't really like talking to people, but he did enjoy Stephanie's presence. If not, he wouldn't have agreed to come here with his mom. His face was hard as he wondered how much Stephanie knew about Dan, hoping his mother hadn't told them anything embarrassing. Stephanie wasn't startled or scared with the change in his expression, because he had now moved his hand over to her scalp and was now softly massaging it in a way that involuntarily made her relax.