Ch 26

Word count: 2951

My shout-out goes to New Zealand, Colombia and Namibia

*

Monica rolled in bed and released a raspy moan, saying a short prayer. There was no sunlight penetrating into the room through her curtains, so she guessed it was still dark outside.

She felt for Sucre but he wasn't beside her, and that made her sit up quickly. She didn't hear the sound of rushing water from her bathroom as well. She traced her hand behind her, feeling for the alarm clock she'd fixed into her headboard few months ago. Then Monica turned the alarming neon lights installed on the clock on, only to discover that it was already day break.

"Hell!" She cursed and quickly dashed out of bed and went to part the windows, squinting as the sunlight momentarily blinded her.

Swearing profusely, she dashed into the bathroom and stripped, taking a quick shower before coming out and putting on her underwear. She was applying lotion on her body when Sucre came in and realized she wasn't on the bed. He looked around and spotted her at the closet, running around to get herself dressed and presentable for work.

"Good morning sunshine." Sucre greeted with a dashing smile, ogling her breasts in her deep blue push-up bra and acting as if he didn't notice she was making a mess of the room while rushing to get dressed.

"Why didn't you wake me Sucre? I'm so late for work. Hell!" Monica grumbled without sparing him a glance.

Sucre eyed her and huffed, displeased that she wasn't even acknowledging him or giving him his favorite kiss. The good morning kiss.

He made a sound at the back of his throat. "Says who?"

"Says me. Oh goodness Sucre, I've never been this late since I started working at the company. I hope I'm not queried. I don't even know how that works." She already wore a blue chiffon long sleeve shirt and was buttoning it up in a hurry.

"Moni, my sweet baby. Just, calm down and relax. At least take a breather."

"What are you saying? I'm late for work. Yesterday was so tiring and then I didn't get out of bed after-"

Sucre sighed and looked away from her, making her purse her lips at his reaction.

Monica paused in her tracks and eyed him suspiciously, moving towards him. "You switched off the alarm didn't you? You did it Sucre, admit it!"

Sucre chuckled at how cute she looked at that moment, well aware of the fact that she was a ticking bomb even with all the bundle of cuteness that she currently was.

"Well yes," he started. Monica was already back to looking through her shoe rack while grumbling and fixing the last two buttons on her shirt as his eyes followed her around, "just stay still for a bit and let's talk, okay?" She shot him a harsh glare.

"No you don't understand. This is my life here Sucre, I can't just take it with levity. It's my pride. I take my work seriously because I have a boss who pays my salaries!" Her chest heaved as she shouted at him with brimming eyes. Her clothes were now on the ground beside her and her chest was heaving as if she'd ran a race.

Sucre was stunned at her outburst because he hadn't expected her to react that way. What did she mean by 'this was her life' and 'she couldn't take it with levity?' His mind began to come up with different ideas as he processed the words, lips parted.

He suddenly began to suspect that she'd felt this way for a very long time and was only just pouring her heart when it reached the limit. Something was obviously bothering her about them and she hadn't bothered to tell him.