Ch 13

Word count: 2121

*

They had dinner in a strange silence. It was as if Stephanie understood the tense atmosphere, because she didn't utter a single word throughout the meal.

After dinner, Stephanie had some girl discussions to tell her father, who was all too eager to listen to her rants as he had also missed her. She started with telling him about her new, Indian friend who didn't like her other friend. Then she moved to telling her father about Dixon.

"Is he your new friend?" Sucre frowned. He had seen the little boy give his baby girl a peck on the forehead and even tried to act so cool. He suddenly didn't like the idea of his sweet little girl having a male friend who had the tendencies of being a bad boy in the nearest future. The boy had even dared to only nod in acknowledgement at him!

"Yes daddy." Stephanie fiddled with her fingers, clutching tightly onto the handkerchief in her hands.

"Does he talk to you?" Sucre asked with a squint. The boy didn't utter a word before he left with his mother.

"No. He does not like talking so much." Stephanie explained with a bright smile. Sucre frowned.

Whatever this was, he didn't like the idea of his little girl being with a boy, especially the Dixon boy, he looked like trouble and would definitely be a heartbreaker in the nearest future. But on the other hand, Stephanie was three and the boy in question looked to be around five or six. His tensed shoulders relaxed. He was overreacting.

Sucre realized he was very possessive with his daughter, more than he'd ever been with anyone. The only other person he was possessive about was the woman he was madly in love with. He walked towards the passage and caught sight of Monica, dabbing her lips with a small cloth as she spoke to his grandma. They were in a deep conversation and Sucre wondered if it was about the stupid dating app.

Over at the dining, Monica was casually discussing work with Mrs. Ambrosia but she could feel it that there was something the older woman wanted to say.

It was obvious from her body language. Also, Nana had never been one to keep things in for too long.

"Is anything the matter, Nana?"

Mrs. Ambrosia looked up at Monica and admired her. She had grown from a little girl and blossomed into a mature woman who could have a strong voice in the public. Also, she was doing well with her job, had a place of her own and had a daughter.

But one thing was remaining, and it was a bit upsetting to Nana. Monica had refused to date again.

Not all men were equal. Not all men were jerks, and obviously not all men were her grandson.

"Would you agree if I told you I only want the best for you?" Nana gave Monica a scrutinizing gaze and the younger lady wondered what she could have done to prompt such a gaze from this sweet old lady.

"Yes Nana, without hesitation. I've always known you want only the best for me." Monica answered.

"You know I've been fond of you long before you joined Sucre in the university." Her eyes crinkled as she smiled.

"I know that." Monica answered with furrowed brows.

She was used to Nana asking her questions and conversing with her this way, because Mrs. Ambrosia had known Monica since she was very young. The woman had known something was up with her grandson and this girl he only allowed to play with him after the loss of his parents.

"Then why does it look like I am disturbing you? I only want the best for you, Monica." Nana's cheeks became slightly wobbly as if she was reminiscing a painful event in her life. Her eyes were slightly glassy, making Monica's heart clench.