Ch 10

Word count: 1963

*

They'd agreed to be best friends.

"Best friends don't usually have sex with each other, right?" Monica mumbled to herself and looked away from the figure huddled under the thick clothes.

Did she think so and assure herself that just a week ago? Because at the moment, Sucre was groaning while giving her the look that screamed 'pull down your panties and let me pound you right!'

But they weren't going to do anything; due to several important reasons. One, Monica knew she couldn't get involved with someone like Sucre anymore. He was her ex husband and she didn't want to go back to her past.

Two, he had a baby outside. And he was very much in contact with the baby's mother. She felt a searing pain in her chest as she remembered the content in the mail but quickly ignored it. There was nothing to be jealous of.

Three, he was her boss. She'd never get involved in office romance. She had always hated the idea. With that, Monica got up and paced around his room but Sucre's groan had her halting.

"Where are you going?" Sucre asked in a husky tone. His eyes hadn't left her since she got into the room. What if she left? His plans would backfire and he couldn't afford for that to happen.

"Where do you think?" Monica fired back.

He released another guttural sound from the back of his throat. "Please don't go."

She almost melted at the spot. The magic words were foreign on Sucre's tongue. Please, excuse me, thank you, sorry and pardon me. Sucre always demanded everything. No one ever gave him the reason not to, no one except Monica.

But here he was, looking very sick with sweat pouring down his face while he kept groaning. Sucre was sick.

And at the moment, they were both in his room. Monica couldn't tell how serious it was because Sucre forbade her from coming near him, saying she would also contact the illness. Also, she didn't know if he was faking the illness because it looked more like he was undressing her with his eyes. And maybe he was just looking vulnerable due to his supposed illness.

Sucre wasn't one who tolerated weakness or allowed anyone see him vulnerable.

The illness did a good one on him.

"Can I at least check your temperature? Let me know how you're doing." She worried with furrowed brows. Ever since the previous week where Sucre had visited her at home, he didn't appear at work. And Monica should have been happy she was rid of him, only if she wasn't worried about the brute.

And so after she called his house, she had gotten to know from his house help that Sucre was at home. And he was down with the flu.

"Don't come near me baby, so I won't transfer the flu to you. Just help me call my doctor." He muttered in a hoarse tone. Monica licked her lower lip with a deep frown, struggling to pull her eyes away from his alluring eyes which were staring deeply at her.

Why did he have to call her 'baby' at a time like this? He cleared his throat and Monica blinked.

"Er, yeah. I'll just-"

"My doctor Moni baby, please."

That pet name again; the one that turned her heart to mush every single time. She shut out the thoughts. Now wasn't the time to remember how good it felt to be in his arms or how he whispered seductive nothings to her while cuddling her at nights.

"Doctor Franco right? I still have his landline her-" she paused in her steps and gasped, turning around to look at Sucre who was shivering.

Doctor Franco used to be Sucre's personal doctor and he was also attending to Monica before they drifted apart and divorced. Monica didn't see anything wrong in keeping contact with him, especially since he even extended his hospital to Canada.