Ch 6

Please leave a vote and a comment. And share the book with your family and friends who love reading. Thank you very much 😍♥️😍

Word count: 1288

*

The sound of Monica's ringing tone woke her up from a deep slumber. Her body ached. She had tossed and turned all night and was therefore not feeling too well as her head ached along with every part of her body.

Groaning, she stretched and picked the call, knowing it was about the adjoining of Petsmoni Company and Thomas group of companies. After briefing the director about the events of the occasion and the preparation that had been made so far for close to ten minutes, she hung up.

Monica heaved a sigh while turning on her bed. She was beat and didn't want to appear at the office but she had a job and was committed to it.

With that, she slid out of bed with a moan of protest and got started on her day.

"Is daddy coming here today? I want to see him. Daddy didn't call me this morning...when will daddy come?" Stephanie rained questions one after the other while she got prepared for school, all of which Monica gave vague responses to in hopes that they would get to her school on time.

Stephanie pouted when her mother helped her into the car before they drove out. "Will daddy live with us from now on?" Stephanie asked again when Monica drove into the school compound.

The girl hadn't stopped rambling on and on about her dad since she got out of bed. The word 'daddy' was her new found obsession.

Monica was still feeling light headed so she only hummed to her daughter's questions and said, "We'll talk about that when you get back."

"Oh...Bye momma. Drink some medicine. This girl loves you!" She beamed, pecking her mom's cheek before trotting away into the building.

Monica felt her face stretch into a warm smile at the little girl's thoughtfulness.

She felt a bit better when she got to work but was surprised that she seemed to attract more attention than she usually did. Monica looked at herself in her high waist skirt and button up blouse that she was sure she'd worn thrice or four times before. She was wearing flats and not heels because of the slight headache and for the life of her, Monica couldn't stress over her outfit that morning.

But why were they all giving her weird stares?

"Good morning!" Nikki from the finance department approached her and handed her some files as they matched the same pace and walked side by side. "These are for the Dona project."

"Good morning Nikki. I hope you had a restful night? Cause I didn't." Monica groaned.

They both got into the elevator.

"Yeah. It was a bit chilly since I had a dinner date with my husband and he'd refused to tell me where we were headed but I survived the chilliness." Nikki laughed. She was a newly married lady and Monica often spoke to her whenever they had the chance to exchange in a conversation. Sometimes, they would meet for coffee and sometimes they would have a little chat about upcoming events happening in the company.

"You must have noticed the strange stares at the lobby..." Nikki started.

Monica shook her head, looking indifferent. "Yes I did. What's up with them this morning?"

The sides of Nikki's lips pulled up into a not so subtle smirk.

She coughed. "Or what's up with you?"

"Me?"

"Yes. Mr. Sullivan had a little chat with Mr. Greg this morning regarding the new CEO but Greg didn't take the news well. He even confessed to have developed some feelings for you, even going as far as to have an argument with Mr. Sullivan..."

"What.... Where? When did all this happen?" Monica gasped.

She stared at Nikki with horror written all over her face as she waited for the remaining gist she knew was to come.

"This morning. You are late this morning, remember?"

Monica pursed her lips. Of course she was late to work but she didn't feel an ounce of guilt at this. She needed to take care of herself too and if she broke down, the company would probably find someone to replace her within the next hour. It wouldn't fold up because of a single employee.

So Monica had done everything with ease after getting out of bed that morning and was not eager to get to work early, unlike her usual self.

Nikki giggled a bit, and then her gaze became scrutinizing as she stared intently at Monica.

"Mr. Greg might have been too emotional while speaking that he couldn't control himself. Mr. Ambrosia, the new CEO walked in on them and heard his words then they shut the door."

Monica released another gasp.

"Where are they now?"

"In Mr. Sullivan's office."

"Oh. Who told you all this?"

"I was going to submit the file on his desk when he was talking to Mr. Waters and heard that he had decided to transfer you. That was the basis of the argument. I had to pretend to arrange some files...But Mr. Ambrosia got there at the exact time, happening to hear their discussion. Someone else must've heard then and spread the news...now everyone thinks you are having an affair with Mr. Waters."

That was why some of the workers had been staring and whispering to each other! Monica shrugged.

The last thing on her mind was worrying about what anyone thought of her. She still had to think of where she was being transferred to and if she could go there.

Monica was not ready to be away from the life that she was slowly beginning to build here in Canada, except it was necessary.

"Do you have anything to do with this? I mean...are you in a romantic relationship with Mr. Waters?" Nikki's voice snapped her out of her own deep thoughts. Monica shuddered at the thought of being in a relationship with her immediate boss. He was more like a friend to her, not necessarily like an older brother but someone she had some sort of respect for.

She didn't like him that way.

Now that she carefully thought about it, she hadn't thought of any other man in the sexual and desiring way as she did with Sucre. They had been apart for years but Monica realized she had always compared other men interested in her to Sucre.

Thus, she had remained single. Yet the brute was still willing to just be a bastard.

"No. I'm not." She finally replied when the intensity of Nikki's stare didn't reduce even a teeny bit.

"Oh."

Silence ensued after that and they later parted ways in a silent agreement. When the ladies met again, they would've found something else to chat or gossip about.

Greg wasn't in his office so Monica guessed he would be in Mr. Sullivan, the CEO's office. But her mind didn't want to wander towards her ex husband or to where he probably was at the present.

She left her desk after settling in and attending to some files. Then she knocked on the door to Mr. Sullivan's office and heard a muffled 'come in' so Monica stepped in.

"Good morning sir, I already took the repo-" Monica paused in her sentence as she realized the man sitting on the CEO's chair was none other than her darling ex husband, Mr. Sucre Ambrosia.

She instantly felt her heart drop into the pit of her belly.

*

Not Sucre making fast moves without even knowing it. He's trying to corner her on every angle. 😆