Ch 5

Word count: 1874

*

Monica couldn't stop twiddling her fingers as numerous thoughts swam in her head.

She hated this feeling and the nervousness was eating at her insides.

If there was a hair out of place on Stephanie's head, she would never forgive Sucre. Of course a part of her knew Sucre wouldn't have an issue with handling their daughter well but years ago, he hadn't been the best with babysitting a neighbor's child.

He could be careless at times.

"We're here ma'am." The man said.

She didn't care about remembering his name or thanking him for the drive.

"Where is she?!" Monica shouted and dashed out of the car with her hair slightly disheveled.

"I'll take you to them ma'am, they ar-"

"Don't you dare talk to me! Keep to yourself!" She snapped at the huge man in all black who had driven them to Stephanie's school.

Why did he have to look so sophisticated? He was probably Sucre's bodyguard or one of the numerous bodyguards.

He had the fit and also dresses like one.

"Mommy! You're here!"

Monica shut her eyes tightly, relief flooding her whole body. She turned around and searched for the source of the voice from the passage before her.

Stephanie was already running towards her. "Mommy, daddy came to pick me...he-he said he's my daddy." Stephanie's grin was wider than ever as she explained the reason she'd bonded with the stranger that claimed to be her daddy.

"How are you, baby girl?" Her eyes raked over the little girl's form, her brows already creasing at the change of clothes. Monica gritted her teeth in irritation, trying to rein her anger as Stephanie wiped a nonexistent stain from the tip of her nose.

"Fine mommy! We ate burgers and fries. Daddy gave me-"

"Where is Suc- your...your daddy?" She bit out with clogged throat and trembling lips. She didn't want to share her daughter with him, even though she knew the thought was wrong. The man didn't deserve it.

"He's with Mrs. Adelaide."

"Why are you not in your clothes?" She gritted out, patting Stephanie's hair.

"She got mud on the other one when we were just playing and had to change it." Sucre's voice said above her head and she sucked in a deep breath, praying for the strength to be able to deal with him.

She didn't even hear him approaching. His voice was so casual, compared to her fidgety self. Monica hated it. Nothing was okay between them and Monica would be damned if he thought he could waltz into her life after all these years and think he owned a thing— talk less her daughter.

"We are going home." She snapped at the man in suit, whose eyes were penetrating her skin, avoiding his eyes.

Their eyes met. Fire matched fire as she glared at him, she wouldn't have him being so much around her daughter.

"Why? I want to play with daddy." Stephanie whined and tried to release herself from her mother's tight hold. Letting her go, Monica pecked Stephanie's cheek and told her she had something important to tell her daddy and for Stephanie to stand still and be a good girl.

Now that Stephanie was cooperating, Monica stood straight and stepped closer to Sucre so no one would listen to their conversation.

"What game are you playing at? Why would you come here all of a sudden, Sucre?" Monica asked calmly. A storm was brewing inside her and she didn't want to stay calm but she had to do it for her daughter's sake.