Chapter 24

If I'd say I'm the happiest person on this planet, I'd be lying. I should have been the happiest person to finally achieve what I've been waiting for, but I feel bad. At that last moment maybe I would have given up to my second thought because a murderer or not, I did have a chemistry with her but that doesn't matter now. She's probably dead. I went back at home and slept with a peaceful chaos in my mind. She deserved what she got.

Not even was it an hour since I slept, my mom hurriedly woke me up. She was so tensed, she said that Scarlett met with an accident and she's all over the news.

I was like yeah so. But then i realised I proposed her in front of everyone and we were engaged. So I shouldn't be sleeping at my home. Oh yes. I have to go to her funeral.

Her funeral

No matter how much was I in the state of denial I'm not a murderer and we would have been a good pair if it wasn't for the destiny.

"Aaron, for god's sake it was your fiancee! Attend her at the hospital. She's fighting her death" I heard my mom yell.

"What?" I asked.

"Yeah. Thank god you realised. She's your fiancee-" my mom started but I stopped her "No wait. She's SUFFERING?" I asked.

"Yeah. Go and attend her" my mom replied.

"Are you sure she's SUFFERING mom?" I asked.

Scarlett survived? How is that possible. There was blood all over her. I remembered that scene and it made me cringe. I was so driven by hatred, I just murdered a girl. Those feelings were invading in my brain. I couldn't afford that

"What is wrong with you son" mom looked confused.

"Nothing. I just don't believe she met with an accident. I'll go visit her" I said to make her leave.

This was it. I am surely not a murderer. I don't believe I murdered Scarlett. Her face kept appearing in my mind. I should just stop thinking about it right now. It'll pass slowly.

I had to decide what next now. She's survived. Should I let her live? I can't attempt another attack. It's already hard to live with what I've done. But I can't let her live either. We were engaged. I will have to give an explanation to the media and companies may fall apart. I can not let that happen.

I thought for an hour and I finally decided that I will have to kill her. If we break up and companies fall apart there's a high risk for our company to suffer great losses. She can have their sympathy and nobody will buy products from us. I have no choice but to kill her.

She's still fighting her death so if I kill her right now people will think she lost the fight. I got up quickly and ran to hospital. Everybody was there. Scarlett's mom was crying her heart out. This was when it became impossible for me to kill her. How could I do this? How could I take away her only daughter from a mother? Miss. Van'assche didn't have anyone except Scarlett and I took that away from her? See her crying and suffering and being the reason for that I.. I was speechless.

I just stood there silently. A tear escaped my eye. It's been years since I cried. It was Marx's funeral when I cried last and it's Scarlett's right now.

I just couldn't stand myself. Her mom was traumatized. She kept getting up every now and then like a child asking everyone what's the status. Nobody knew but she kept doing that. She was weeping like a widow for a while and the next second she was asking everyone to not cry because nothing is going to happen to Scar. She kept mumbling all the memories of Scarlett how scar used to emotionally blackmail her dad to take her to a restaurant every alternate day. How Scar suffered so much when her father died. She was so close to her father and she was the one most affected by it. How she acted like everything was okay ever since that but everything was not. She tried to be strong all the time, but she just couldn't forget her father.
Her mother kept on going about how Scar always tried to prove that she was strong and intelligent and brave but life was unfair to her. She lost her dad and very close to that incident her fiancee Marx committed suicide. She said Scarlett was traumatized when Marx committed suicide right in front of her eyes. Her mother was saying this to Marx's parents.

Mr. And Mrs. Lancaster were here?
Why did they come to their son's murderer's hard time?

That was when I realised the broken pieces did not fit in anymore. The next second I saw a hand grabbed me and I was pulled to a corner. It was Jass. Her eyes never stopped shedding tears.

"Why are you here? You are the reason she she's suffering there right now"
Jass spoke and I was shocked. Did she figure out it was me in the car?

"What?" I asked.

"If you never ditched her, I didn't have to take her out and she wouldn't meet with an accident" she said angrily.

Oh. I thought.

"Why did you do it Aaron?" Jass asked "and why are you the one crying infront of everyone right now? Why are you the one who looks like you don't have air in your lungs left?" She cried.

That was when I realised I had been crying the whole time.

"Why did you do that Aaron?" She asked again.

"Marx Lancaster. Do you remember him?" I asked

"Scarlett's fiancee. Yes" she replied.

"Scarlett's fiancee or Scarlett's victim?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" She looked confused.

"I was there when Marx jumped off of that cliff. Marx was my best friend since we were 10" and I narrated her the whole story how Marx warned her that he'll jump and how she said something and Marx actually jumped.

"What the hell Aaron? You think Scarlett was the reason Marx jumped?"
She asked.

"I know she was" I replied.

"Aaron" she sighed. "Aaron Marx's dad had an affair with another woman and he got to know about it. His father was drunk that night and said somethings to Marx to enrage him. He said he regretted having Marx and that he didn't love him or his mother. Marx was too shocked by everything. He thought his mother didn't know about it, but his mother did. And his parents were trying to resolve everything just for the sake of Marx. But his drunk father took his frustration out on Marx and Marx asked to meet Scarlett. He explained her everything and Scarlett was trying to calm him down but he was too hyped. He thought he just couldn't face his mom, he couldn't live with it. He thought his parents were going to separate and he couldn't stand that fact. Scarlett that day told him to calm down but he wasn't in his right mind. And due to his feelings that overwhelmed him he committed suicide right infront of Scarlett's eyes. Scarlett wasn't the reason Marx died Aaron. Although she was the one who became most afraid to love anyone until you walked in her life. And you betrayed her too. Well done Aaron Smith. Well done" she explained and walked away.

Scarlett was not the reason Marx died, and I tried to kill her. She was actually innocent and truthful and I..I tried to take her life because of a misunderstanding? She's in there because of me and everyone including myself is struggling because of me?

I ran back right in front of the OT as I yelled "if anything happens to her, I'll sue this hospital and I'll sue every freaking person from the management" lot of emotions were in my mind grief, regret, self hatred, anger but above all there was this voice that kept saying me I have to save her.