A Corner

"Hiro."

A hand landed on his head, softly pushing through his curls. These hand were cold, yet soft. Nails edged near his skin, tempted to tear him open.

Hiro looked up at his uncle, inhaling the smell of blood and dust. Maybe a bit of cologne. Did he go outside? Have a meeting? Kill someone?

His uncle always smelled of murder.

"Wake up, little one."

Hiro slowly pushed himself off the bed, staring back at his uncle with dead eyes.

It had been five years.

A lot can happen in half a decade.

Rido smirked, placing both hands on his nephew's face. "I have a surprise for you."

Hiro's stomach dropped. That was never a good thing.

But nonetheless, Hiro followed his uncle out of the room and into the halls.

The castle itself was always quiet. He'd never been allowed outside his room unless given permission. He had broken that rule too many times, knocking down anyone in his way.

Until Rido began to...punish him for his disobedience.

Starved, beaten, both or neither.

"I've already explained the weakness of my own body." Rido began, looking to Hiro.

Hiro didn't respond.

"But yours...your body is young and malleable."

Hiro looked to Rido, confused.

"Purebloods have the power to posses the bodies of other Vampires and humans."

Hiro felt his hands tremble.

"I want your body to be strong, able to withstand anything-"

Hiro stopped walking.

Rido stopped, turning around.

"You...want to take over my body." Hiro realized, both eyes wide in fear.

Rido's smile and silence was the answer.

"...I won't let you."

Rido laughed. "It isn't your choice to make."

"It is." Hiro frowned, eyes dark.

"Think of the power you can obtain. I can make you stronger. Able to withstand the sun without pain, weapons can't harm you, you'll be stronger than any Pureblood in existence."

Hiro stepped back. "I don't want that."

"...Unfortunately, that isn't your choice to make."

"And how do you plan on doing this?" Hiro asked.

Rido placed both hands in his pockets. He leaned against the wall, his smile almost tearing his face apart.

It was like he was excited, like a child experimenting with a new toy.

"Ever heard of the term...Cannibalism?"

Hiro stared at Rido, his mouth falling open.

He sunk to the floor.

"If a Vampire continues to take the blood of other Vampires, their powers grow. For a young Vampire such as yourself...you'd be able to stop a Vampire with a single glance before you're twenty."

"I won't do that..!" Hiro gripped his knees.

Rido walked over, kneeling down beside him.
He placed a hand on his back, gently patting his head.

Hiro tried to move away, but couldn't.

Rido gripped his arm, leaning down to his face.

"If I have to force feed you the blood of a million Vampires to gain pure, unadulterated power...so be it."

__________

Rido stared at the empty room.

Nothing had truly changed.

The books Hiro would read were neatly stacked in several piles in a corner. His bed was cleaned, the blankets ironed nicely by a servant.

There were no windows, and the door only had a lock on the outside.

"He will be home very soon, my lord." A servant said, bowing in his presence.

Rido chuckled. "Yes, he will. I miss him very much."

A body molded to fit his essence would not escape so easily. And through the little kindness in his empty heart, Rido would allow his nephew to see the cruelties of this world.

He'd already given the boy enough power to take down the entire Vampire Council in one cough.

Hiro would return.

It was set in stone.

Rido smirked.