Your Move

Hibernation.

Hiro has read about it once before. Once the weather gets cold, the animals either migrate or go to sleep.

He finds it lonely without them.

But he takes comfort in the idea of them being out of the cold. At the very least, they don't have to suffer through the storm, scrounging around for food and water in the freezing cold.

Maybe he could try the same thing, he thought bitterly.

...would sleeping in a coffin forever hold off the curse? Or would it continue, cursing his future family?

He sighed, cold air circling around him.

He wanted to see the spring.

A voice as cold as the winter wind cut through his thoughts.

"You're up early."

Hiro grimaced, not turning around.

Footsteps got closer, a chuckle echoing in the air.

Rido stood under a tree, a smile on Senri's face. Hiro looked over, frowning at the sight.

"I missed your curiosity." He said with a sweet tone.

"How long are you going to use Senri's body?" Hiro asked, placing a hand in his pocket.

"Until you give me yours." Rido smirked.

It looked so wrong. Senri would never smile like that. He would never say those words.

"The body I crafted using you is a masterpiece." Rido said, as if he were patting himself on the back. "You can even stand in the sun, unable to feel pain."

Hiro glared at Rido. "Why haven't you taken it by force?"

Rido's fangs showed when he grinned, a dark glint shining in his eyes.

"I'm waiting for you to come to me." Rido answered. "The curse will either draw you to me, or you can make the choice now."

Hiro's eyes were wide, his brighter eyes reflecting in his uncle's darker ones. They were almost the same, almost identical.

They both turned their heads to the side when another Pureblood entered the field.

Kaname's eyes were dark as he walked towards Hiro. He stood in front of his younger brother, looking to Rido with calm eyes.

"It seems you've chosen to crawl out from your hole." Kaname said, watching as Rido laughed.

"My words exaclty. But alas, I should be going." He leaned off the tree, looking to Hiro. "You two should spend as much time as you can together. You don't have much longer now..." He chuckled, walking off with a satisfied smirk.

Hiro glared after him, fists clenched as he tried to calm himself.

"Are you alright?"

Hiro looked to Kaname, surprised to find him wearing a worried expression. He placed a hand on Hiro's face, pulling him closer.

"Stay close to me." He said softly. "I'll keep you safe."

"No." Hiro pushed his arms away, ignoring the pain he felt as he moved back.

Kaname watched, unable to stifle his sigh.

"We have to protect Yuki." Hiro told him.

"I've already told those I trust with the task of watching over her." Kaname explained. "You needn't stress yourself-"

"I can't have the luxury to be calm, Kaname. Rido has set his plans in motion." His eyes became hard, a grimace sitting in place of his once happy face.

He turned away from Kaname, walking off.

"We have to stop him."

__________

"Ichiru might be planning to kill you."

Silence.

"Yuki and I are keeping an eye on him, though."

Nothing.

"...are you even listening to me?"

Zero didn't get a response from his friend. Hiro stared off into the distance, his eyes unreadable.

Zero sighed, hitting the brunette's head.

"Huh?" Hiro asked, looking up at Zero.

"What's on your mind?" Zero asked.

Hiro grimaced. The cold winter breeze didn't help his mood. He felt weak, belittled in his head.

There was a slight throbbing in his azure eye, and he winced. He rubbed it, huffing quietly.

"Don't rub them, they'll only swell." Zero scolded, taking Hiro's hands away from his face.

"Vampires can't get swollen eyes." Hiro snorted, looking to Zero with a slight blush.

"Does it hurt?" Zero asked, raising an eyebrow. "Your eye?"

"I'm fine." Hiro told him. "And I've already spoken to Ichiru." Hiro folded his arms.

"What did he say?" Zero questioned, a tender frown on his face.

"He's definitely planning to get his revenge." Hiro said with a bitter smile. "...I'm still worried for him."

"He wants to kill you." Zero said with a frown. "We have to stop him."

Hiro hummed in agreement. He paused, eyebrows going downwards.

Hiro gave Zero a sorry look in secret.

He wished he could tell him everything. He wished he could explain just how messed up things were, and just how dangerous they would become.

But he kept his mouth closed.

Zero caught his pained expression. He raised an eyebrow, frowning in confusion.

"What is it?" Zero asked, leaning in. "Are you in pain?"

Hiro gave Zero a pat on the shoulder, shaking his head. He squeezed it, and Zero frowned at his remorseful expression.

"You...should speak to your brother." Hiro told him, turning to leave. "You are family. I think you both have things you want to say to one another."

Zero frowned, watching Hiro walk away with a wave.

Something was wrong.