Dead Stars

The stars are twinkling in the sky like diamonds and the moon sweeps over them like a blanket of light.

Yuki thinks it's a fairly poetic way to say goodbye.

Zero holds onto Hiro tightly, gripping him like he'll fade away any second.

Yuki furrowed her eyebrows, eyes wet as she silently prayed. She hoped he was at rest, hoped he wasn't in pain anymore.

"How long does it take?" Yuki asks. "Before..." she cant finish.

"It won't be long now." Zero promises her quietly, feeling Hiro grow lighter. He braces for it, an emptiness filling him.

Unknown to them, they're accompanied by a third party.

It's a man with curly, long brown hair. He's taller than the both of them, and he's boiling with anger. His eyes are a mix of wine red and sky-crystal blue.

There is no warmth in them.

"Give me the boy." He says, outstretching his hand. His voice is so dark, Yuki thinks, and so malicious.

Zero pulls Bloody Rose out with one hand, the gun aimed directly between the Pureblood's eyes.

"I know who you are, bastard."

Zero remembers the days Hiro would tense with fear, afraid to become his uncle.

Rido is surprised. He laughs and steps closer.

"You must be very close to Hiro." He leaned forward, still chuckling. "Give me his corpse, family has the right to the remains."

Disgust falls over the duo's faces.

"W-What are you talking about..?" Yuki questions him with a glare.

"...once I put my heart into his corpse, I'll have the body I need." He stares at Hiro, almost happy. "He was smart to try and end his life, but I crafted a body that would never die unless damaged beyond repair. A torn up heart is nothing too major. If you don't waste time, his body will be good as new."

Artemis flies through the sky like a breeze, cold and harsh. The ground is sliced and breaks apart, Rido moving from his spot and smiling.

"You're as quick as Juri..."

Yuki feels a strange throb in her heart at the name, blissful nostalgia sweeping over her mind. She can't think of a face but the name makes her feel like she misses someone.

"You're awful." She tells him.

"Grow up." He laughs at her, missing him over and over.

She flips off him and strikes again.

Zero looks down at Hiro, eyebrows furrowing. Bloody Rose is quiet in his hands before he aims at Rido, bullets zipping past the older Vampire.

Rido watches as they both try to corner him, a smile growing on his face at the mere sight of it.

He couldn't take them seriously.

But of course, they would still try. It was the instinct of humans to be so stubborn and stupid. Maybe Hiro had spent too much time around them, having grown difficult in his escape.

It would change. Hiro would no longer leave his sight again.

He wanted Yuki as a reward for his soon to be body, filled with power and strength. He would have her blood to swallow as his prize.

...but she was proving to be a problem right now.

She sidesteps and aims for his stomach. Yuki wasn't to be underestimated with that toy weaving through the air.