Ray Of Light

Zero watched as Hiro snuck out of the Moon Dorms again.

It was too early to watch the sun rise, too early to do anything. What was he doing?

Zero was starting to grow annoyed of this bloodsucker.

He walked over, frowning deeply as he approached the shorter boy. He reached out a hand, grabbing Hiro by the shoulder.

"You-" Zero began.

He froze completely.

Shadows began to crawl out of the ground, erupting from the dirt and reaching for them.

"What the..?!"

He quickly reached for his gun. He fired at the shadows, only to have his bullets go through them.

"...what are those?!"

Hiro frowned, taking a step forward.

"What're you doing?! Stay back!" Zero yelled, pulling him away.

"No, I can stop them!" Hiro argued, trying to free himself.

Besides, Rido definitely sent them to provoke Hiro. It was his fault they were there, and he needed to fix this.

The shadowed hands grabbed his legs, as if trying to drag him down with them.

"How..?" Zero asked, watching as the shadows grew closer.

Hiro released his arm, walking towards the shadows. His eyes began to glow red and blue. He lifted both arms and stopped in front of the shadows.

He remembered Rido's words.

"You must destroy them."

Hiro followed him through the house, watching him closely.

"Do you understand?"

"...yes."

"Once they fear you...you can control them."

And he glared at the shadows with dark eyes.

He forced his power to burn them away.

They began to dissipate, turning to dust as if they were being burned away by the sun. More came, and more vanished.

Zero watched with wide eyes.

In an instant, they were gone.

"How did you..?" Zero began.

Hiro turned around. A look of despair washed over his eyes, darkening them. But his face remained calm.

Zero frowned at his sorrowful expression. It irritated him, and he didn't know why.

"I'll return to my Dorm." Hiro said in a quiet voice, turning to leave.

__________

He hadn't seen Hiro sneak out after that night.

It was like Zero was keeping tabs on the guy or watching the Moon Dorms for him.

Hell, without him sneaking out, it made his job easier.

Be his guide!-

He groaned.

...But it had been a few days. Hiro hasn't come to feed the rabbits or watch the sunset. He'd go to class and come back, like a good student would.

It bothered Zero.

And he didn't know why.

With a deep frown, Zero started to leave, going to do another circle around the place-

There was a loud crash in the bushes.

Zero paused and turned around.

Hiro's head peeked out, his head covered in leaves and branches. He got up, dusting himself off.

He smiled when he saw Zero, a bead of sweat on his face.

"...You didn't see that, did you?"

Zero didn't answer, his frown still in effect.

Hiro sweatdropped. "I'll take that as a yes..." he mourned, embarrassment evident on his face.

Zero started walking off, and Hiro smiled before following him.

"What were those things from the other night?" Zero asked as they climbed the stairs of the tower.

Hiro looked down with a slight grimace. "...shadow demons."

Zero blinked in surprise, his brows turning down.

He'd read about them before with his teacher.

"...I thought those were a myth." Zero looked over to him. "Created by Purebloods."

Hiro shook his head. "They're real, but rare."

"And why are they after you?"

Hiro scratched his head with a solemn smile. "I told you, I'm unlucky."

Zero wanted to press on, to force him to confess as to why shadow demons are attaching him.

But he shouldn't...care so much.

So they kept walking in silence, Hiro humming quietly.

They finally made it to the roof, Hiro standing near the railing.

The morning breeze was chilly, pushing through his curls.

"...when I come up here, I forget about anything bad. Like the light washes away my darkness." He said, touching his chest.

Zero watched him with keen eyes.

"Thank you for coming with me, even though I'm breaking the rules." Hiro said happily. "None of my other friends could withstand the sun, anyway."

Zero looked over to him.

He sounded so...lonely.

And yet, he was surrounded by others, his own kind, much less.

Zero walked towards him, standing by the railing, but not too close to him.

He looked out at the sun rise, lavender eyes twinkling in the light.

...he'd forgotten how beautiful it was.