1: arrogant boys in west hall

(^Ms. Locke herself :) ^)

»»---Rivers POV----««

My friends stood behind me as we waited for Xavier and his men to show.

"This is pointless. He's clearly a no show." Kai argued. I mentally rolled my eyes.

"He'll show..." I defended looking around a little. The hallway was empty as normal. Students know we meet in west hall. Xavier doesn't give two shits about the people in the town, and honestly that makes me question why he's even here in the first place.

"Monroe, Davis, Donnell, Glad you came." Xavier entered the hallway with two of his men behind him. Kai and Jason stayed quiet as Xavier and I discussed.

"Let's get this over with Xavier. What do you want?" I asked emotionlessly. He scoffed crossing his arms.

"What I want is for your guys to stop sending threats to the east. I've come to an alliance with them and we sure as hell don't need your idiots screwing it up." He accused. Ignoring his insult I thought back to everything this week. My guys haven't been in east territory in weeks?

"My guys haven't bothered the east so go look for trouble somewhere else." I hissed back.

"I think you've forgotten who your talking to Monroe." Xavier took a few steps closer as his men mimicked.

"I am not someone you want to mess with... haven't I proven that already? I don't see your little friend around here anymore..." he added with a smirk.

"You-" my words were cut off by the west hall entrance opening.

"Do any of you know where the principals office is?"

»»---Avery's pov---««

"I promise you'll be ok." My brother reassured. I gave him a sad smile pulling my book bag out of the car. My brother, gray, is only 23 but he takes care of both of us. My mother died 3 years ago and my dad has been in jail ever since I was a little kid. I was only 13 when I lost my mom... thankfully I had gray to help me through it and I helped him.

"What if everyone hates me?" I asked nervously. After my mother died I was severely depressed and I was bullied a lot when I first moved schools... to be fair they didn't know of my loss. All they saw was a weak girl with no confidence... but that was long ago and I've grown out of that stage in my life.

"I know it's scary but it's closer to our new house then any other school. And trust me Av, they'll love you." He smiled walking me to the school entrance before hugging me goodbye.

"New school, new life." I reassured myself throwing open the doors. I was surprised to see six boys in the hallway. I glanced between each of them.

"Do any of you know where the principals office is?" I asked. They stared confusingly at me for only a moment before completely ignoring me and going back to whatever it was they were talking about.

"I've barley been here for two minutes and I've already met six of the biggest assholes at the school." I mumbled walking past them.

"What did you just call us?" The boy with black hair in front of two other boys had grabbed my wrist stopping me. Something about his demeanor screamed 'run' but his grip loosened slightly as his gaze softened on mine. I took a deep breath pulling my wrist out of his grip.

"We both know you heard me." I hissed spinning around and walking away. I shook off the feeling of disgust when he gripped my wrist. Why do people think they can do whatever they please?

"AVERY!" Kiera tackles me into a hug. I laughed hugging her back. Kiera and her parents had moved to this town a few years ago. But before then she went to my school, and we were clearly really close.

"I missed you." My words were muffled. She pulled away glancing up and down at me.

"How are feeling? You know about the move and stuff..." she asked with a sad smile. I let out a huff looking around the school office.

"It's not all bad... besides I'm not going to let a few arrogant boys in the west hall ruin my day." I answered with a bright smile. A sense of confusion washed over me when Kiera's jaw dropped.

"Avery... please tell me you aren't talking about River Monroe... He and his friends are known to hang around that part of school." She informed me. I shrugged following her out of the office.

"I don't who it was but-" I tripped cutting off my own sentence. Like a reasonable person you grab onto the closes thing to hold you up...

"Ow" I looked from my painful fall meeting eyes with a brownish blonde stranger.

"Hello again gorgeous." He smirked and sent me a wink. I quickly pushed him off of me.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't looking where I was going." I ranted. He stood up offering me a hand. I accepted pulling myself up off the floor.

"Your the new girl I met earlier right?" He asked picking up his books. I nodded doing the same. Kiera gave me a warning look but I didn't understand why.

"Avery Locke, and you are?" I ask back. He sends me a sweet smile "River Monroe." Oh.

"Avery we need to leave. Like now!" Kiera blurted our looking at something down the hall. I turned to see the problem realizing it wasn't something... it was someONE.

"Agreed. I'll see you around Avery." River stated walking towards to other people.

"Who is that?" I asked Kiera walking beside her. A look of fear washed over her face as she stopped walking.

"The king."