26: Burnt out Flames

*i just want to test this out, let me know if you like this pov better :)*

Also important note at the end of this chapter!!!

          -•- No ones POV -•-

Silence filled the air as the group contemplated what was said. After all they saw what happened to Avery when her wolf was suppressed...

"This spell... what exactly is required for it? A big spell like that always comes at a price." River pointed out.

Avery bowed her head knowing the others wouldn't understand the price. Zane shot her a look of uncertainty. How do you explain to someone that the price of protection is... no protection?

"A member of our pack will have to be... released once she turns 18." Avery explained.

"Released? Like killed?" Xavier stared at his mate with a bewildered look.

"No, they have to be removed. Usually it would be someone if blood relation as it is seen as an act of disrespect to the moon goddess for taking away a wolf's true nature. In our case we have picked someone... and I have signed off a deal that if this person is to be released before her birthday it will be seen as a violation of our law." She concluded.

"And I agreed with that deal." Zane stated.

Once again there was a moment of silence. Xavier felt angry at his mate for making this decision without him. River was deep in thought about how he'd have to explain this to his children one day. Milo and Amara stayed silent knowing it was none of there business and had already overstepped there boundaries.

"Who is it?" River spoke up taking everyone by surprise. "Who is sacrificing themself for my family?"

Avery once again looked away but Zane kept his stare.

"Emory Hildegard."

•••

"A child! For gods sake Avery have you lost your mind?!" Xavier shouted holding back his wolf.

"I was trying to protect my family! Our niece!" She defended. Xavier kept his disapproving stare but relaxed a bit knowing she had good intentions.

"Ok then answer this, what kind of a Luna abandons a member of their pack?"

A million thoughts were running through both of their heads. The two of them rarely fought but when they did it was never pretty.

"Fine, you wanna talk about being a bad leader? Ok let's talk! The day I moved into town I was warned about a cold hearted man with a power obsession." Avery snapped. "And honestly when I found out you were an alpha those rumors never went away! I DEFENDED YOU WHEN EVERYONE SAW YOU AS THE MERCILESS ALPHA KING!"

Xavier clenched his fist and fired back. "I'm the bad leader? Fine but when no one took you seriously as a Luna I didn't bask in the power they gave me, I helped prove that YOU weren't a psycho bitch with no ability to lead. Don't act like you're the perfect mate..."

Although he didn't mean to make her even more angry, she would be sure to show him just how Psychotic she can be.

"Perfect mate?! That is GOLD  coming from you. You marked me forcefully! You rejected me! You tried to get me killed! And when it mattered most you didn't take my side! Everything i do is to protect our family but you're to selfish to see it." She seethed in disgust.

His face fell in astonishment. "Selfish? Are you too busy worrying about ruining our family that you can't see everything I do is for you? Not for river, not for my pack, not even for our daughter, but for you... i marked you to protect you from the same blood sucker you're defending, you marked me back solely for revenge! Yes it was wrong but I had good reasoning! And as for sticking by your side? You left me to go find some witch and I still stayed with you, even when you almost got Rosalie killed."