22: Natures beauty

• Avery King •

Distance protects the ones we love. I'm not doing this for me... then again when do we ever do things for ourselves? A week ago we buried my nephew who was left dead on my brothers doorstep, completely drained of blood. Shortly after that followed the loss of Ariel, my brothers fiancé. All of this started when I... well when I was born, so it's time I make up for what I've done.

"Avery I-I don't think I can go through with this..." Caitlyn whimpered. I sighed zipping up my bag and slinging it over my shoulder.

"The ritual has already begun, we don't have another choice." I reminded. Tonight I'll be taking a flight to Alaska, there are tribes there that know of...preventatives.
And since Xavier refused my witch option I don't have another choice.

"But what am I supposed to say to Xavier and river when they ask where you went?" I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"I promise I'll be back before anyone notices, you distract them for the rest of the day and then I'll be back before they even wake up!" I reassured.

"It's a 7 hour flight, that's not possible." She glared playfully.

"You don't know how late Xavier wakes up." I joked before walking out.

This is for the best... I hope.

              • Caitlyn Monroe •

Yea I suck at lying.

"SHES WHERE?!" Note to self, don't piss off Xavier.

"She's in Alaska duh, keep up. Now what were you saying about getting pizza?" My lovely mate shushed his brother. Xavier growled clearly not amused.

"I CALLED A WITCH TO COME OUT HERE LIKE SHE ASKED!" He snapped. Oh boy here we go...

"Xavier you need to calm down, Need I remind you that Avery can feel your emotions and when she feels anger... well you know what happens." I trailed off. He stood up and stormed out of the room.

"That went well."  I mumbled. River gave me a comforting smile before pulling me onto the couch.

"So about the pizza..."

• Avery King •

"I'm looking for Sierra stone?"

"...that would be me."

Here goes nothing.

Standing in front of me was a tall brunette with Forrest green eyes. She sort of looked like the female version of Xavier... the thought of going behind his back made my stomach churn.

"You must be Avery, I'm... well you know who I am." She chuckled before extending her hand. I offered her a smile and shook her hand.

"Yes I've heard the stories of your kind, wolves that practice magic right?" I asked. She nodded in conformation.

"There's always been a misconception that you can't be more than one thing, but our ancestors proved that to be false when they created the first hybrid." She explained. I followed her as she began to walk. "Of course our power is not as strong as a full witch, same thing goes for wolves when only one parent carries the gene. Our wolves are more suppressed and take a longer time to come to us, most of us shift at 18... unless they choose the unnatural way."

"The unnatural way?" I raised a brow. I've heard of early shifts, obviously, but never of an unnatural shift. Sierra sighed and stopped in her tracks.

"Take a look around... what do you see?"

My eyes trailed along the snow covered path. I caught a glimpse of the dark blue Sky and the faded moon. It was beautiful...

"What you're seeing is the beauty of nature. Our land is untouched by humans, we refuse to build on it." She ran her hand against a tree taking in every crevice. Despite the cold weather I felt a warmth spread across me. "The warmth... that is unnatural. It's magic. An unnatural shift is made through sacrificial magic."

"Murder?!" I jumped back in surprise. They murder someone to become stronger? For what? To prove they aren't  weak?

To be fair you've done that too...

Oh...

"Yes murder. But not just the murder of anyone... it has to be a child or a loved one." She frowned like she'd seen it before.

"A child? But why don't they just wait?"

"It's more of a last resort, if don't shift by the time you're 20 it's seen as shameful. Most people cover it up to look like an accident... I'd rather feel the shame then kill a child." She removed her hand from the tree and gave all of her attention to me. "Which is exactly why I've decided to help you."

"Wait wh-" she cut me of before I could ask any questions.

" PERVENETS IZ DVUKK PACHEK!" Sierra gripped my wrist and began to chant words that I couldn't understand.

"W-what are you doing?" Panic washed over me as her eyes turned white.

"SSYLKA NA ZHIZN' I SMERT'!" Her grip tightened. My stomach ached causing me to scream.

"STOP!" The ground began to shake underneath me. Moon growled trying to surface but she was pushed away, not by me.

"otdel'nyy..." her eyes flipped back to normal as she was violently flung away. My blood boiled as I felt a contractions that moon was trying her best to heal.

"What. Did. You. Do." I growled letting my eyes darken. Sierra gasped for air like she was drowning.

"N-nothing! I-I... it rejected... t-the spell!" She coughed out. I stepped closer still feeling the buzzing sensation underneath my skin.

"It?! WHAT IT?!" I screamed releasing some of the buzz. Sierra screeched in pain as her hand contorted unnaturally.

"I DON'T KNOW!" She cried out. I clenched my fist knowing she was lying.

"LIES!" I let out another scream causing the ground to crack open. The buzz grew uncontrollable and I could feel myself slipping away...
The last thing I remember before blacking out was a burning sensation.

What just happened?

•———————•

Wow I've really gotta start making longer chapters 😬

Anywayyyyy I have some news...

WE HIT 1K READS!!! WHATTTT!
I'm completely star struck :)

I won't write another rant sooo I guess I'll see you in the next chapter! Adios mis amores <3