Chapter 3

Hello, my fellow readers. I kept my promise, yah! The promise was to update every week. Wow, time does fly fast, especially with school. School is destroying my long weekend because I have bunch of homework, but I'll keep my promise to update every week. Thanks a lot for the comments and votes, they make my day. No joke, I was smiling and dancing. I will let you go so you can read my book, hope you like it.

It had been three hours since the doctor told Roy that they were taking Edward into surgery. The room was quiet and all Roy could hear was the rain hitting the building. Roy and Hawkeye didn't talk unless it was to tell each other where they were going.

The silence was comforting and it gave Roy time to think. That's when Roy heard heavy footsteps coming down the hallway. He turned to see who it was and that's when Roy saw the doctor walking towards them. Roy stood up which made Hawkeye look up from the newspaper that she was reading.

"How's Edward?" Roy asked, a bit afraid of the answer.

"The surgery went better than expected."

Roy was pleased to hear, but there was something in the doctor's voice that made dread swirl in his stomach. There was something that the doctor wasn't telling them and Roy wanted to know what he was hiding.

"After the surgery was over, we were prepping him so that we could transport him to another room and that's when things took a turn for the worse. We were able to hook him up the life-support, but by then Elric had slipped into a coma and we don't know when he will wake up. However, from what we could tell there was no damage to the brain and if nothing else happens Elric should make a full recovery when he wakes up."

The room was silent. Roy glanced from the doctor to Hawkeye and then back to the doctor.

Then the doctor cleared his throat. "Elric is in stable condition and is allowed, visitors. If you like, I can show you to his room."

All Roy could do was nod and that's when the doctor turned and led them down the hallway. All of them fell into silence, the only noise was their footsteps echoing down the long hallway. That's when the doctor stopped in front of a door.

"This is Elric's room, I will leave you two alone."

Roy nodded and the doctor left. Roy opened the door and the first thing he saw was Edward lying on the bed, unconscious with a breathing mask on. Roy walked in, grabbed one of the chairs lined agents the wall and pulled it close to the bed. Hawkeye watched in silence and stood against the wall.

All she wanted was to see the rise and fall of Edward's chest and that was enough to convince her that he will make it through.

"Sir, I should leave to tell the others about Edward's condition, I will be back soon."

And without a word from Roy, Hawkeye left the room leaving Roy alone with Edward. It was strange to see Edward like this. He looked peaceful and almost child-like like all the painful years had melted away.

Roy had caught a glimpse of a side that Edward never showed. Sometimes Roy wished that Edward could act like a kid even if it was for one day. Roy dismissed the thought quickly, but even after that the thought still slithered its way back into Roy's mind and Roy was left wondering where the thought came from.

Maybe it was because Roy had never seen Edward come this close to death and the thought of losing him brought forth something.

Hughes always joked about Roy being a father figure to Edward in some way and Roy would always scowl at that thought, but maybe there was a part within that statement that was true. Maybe Roy was like a father figure to Edward.