f o u r

July 19, 1999

Arique Smith

I been working as a front desk clerk/cashier for DW Junk and Auto for about a month. When we got back from New Braunfels that Monday afternoon, after their birthday, Smutt told me to get dressed and come with him to see the dude about a job for me. I did as told and when we got to the place, we walked in and he started showing me around and explaining the job to me before asking me if I think I would want to do it.

Of course I said yeah, but asked where the owner was and why he wasn't showing me around. My dumbass didn't put two and two together to conclude "DW" stands for Delontae Williams, and that he was the owner. I ended up starting the next day though. The shop buys all types of cars, usually for the low, and either sells the working parts from it, or fixes the cars up to resell to the highest payer.

I am in charge of selling the parts that are for sell, and showing the cars that are for sell. The other three people that work here, only work on the cars and pricing certain shit since I don't know anything about that. Before I got here, they rotated between working on the cars and the front counter. One of the dudes is actually Delontae's brother, I don't know if I believe it because they don't favor at all. They're all cool I guess. We all joke around and shit sometimes and it makes the time go by faster. They niggas that grew up in the hood, but didn't do hoodrat shit, so we are able to coexist smoothly.

Delontae comes in here about three or four times a week to see how everything is going, and fucking with me, before leaving. Sometimes Weasel comes with him and when he starts fucking with me they leave soon after. I don't know whats up with them. Like, do they know each other is gay on the low and want to see who can get me first? Or do they not know and both just a bit flirtatious. They only do it when it's just us. They don't do it around the females, or other niggas, and they low key about it around Bugga.

I don't know why they feel confortable flirting with me in the first place. I mean, I have a few feminine mannerisms, but I was raised around predominately women. My Paw Paw was always at work and my Uncle was too. On top of that, all of my cousins are girls. But it could also be that since I was in jail for a hot minute, they think I got turned out or something. Who knows. One thing about it, and two for sure, Delontae ain't getting nothing from me just off the strength that he's with my kin folk.

Weasel on the other hand... I don't know, he sorta rubs me the wrong way. Like the nigga is shife, but, I don't know where the feeling comes from. Whats done in the dark comes to light so, I'm going to let that be that. Without the ill feelings toward him though, he could get it. But back to Delontae.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear, I thought watching Delontae walk in from helping work on the cars. He's been here all day today because one of the other dudes had family matters to tend to. He has no shirt on, but his wife beater is around his neck and he's glistening in sweat. He has on navy blue Dickey pants and some Polo boots. He fine I guess. Bookie don't know how good she got it.

"So you jus' gon' sit there and look pretty all day?" He asks me. I roll my eyes at him. This rolling my eyes shit is a habit I picked up from being around him too long. He stay trying to argue with somebody, namely, me.

"I'm doing what you asked me to do dude. If you got a problem wit' it, talk to yaself abaht it." I reply smartly.

"You really got a problem wit' talkin' to me out the side of yo neck." He starts but is smiling, "I'ma fuck you up one day."

"You promise?" I ask innocently sporting a coy grin. I'm fucked up for flirting back right? Oh well, ain't nobody perfect. At least I know I'll never fuck with him on that level for real.