t w e n t y - t w o

Smutt

December 20, 1999

"Good thing you told us to switch shit up." Reese tells me as we sit and talk about what happened. In attendance are my main niggas, Weasel, Knox, and Reese. Along with a few others, and of course Arique since he rode with me. In total there's nine people here.

"Yeah some shit went down wit' this muh fucka I know. He a shife type'a nigga so I knew I'd have to stay on my p's and q's." I let him know. "Y'all left the lil bit to make it seem like they did some shit?"

"Yeah, nigga's thought they hit a fa' real live lick." Knox laughs.

"Well shit, y'all was on y'all shit. Y'all hear about anybody tryna move some big boy shit we'll know who to fuck over." I clap them all up individually. "Y'all know what to do from here. I'm gone."

"Hol'up." Weasel stops me as I walk out the door. "Let me sit wit'chu in the car right quick." He says once we're outside. "You mind if I sit up front right quick, lil Boo?" He asks Arique, who gives him a stank face.

"Don't call me that shit. I don't care." Arique makes a move to go sit in the back seat.

"Hol'up," Weasel grabs his arm to stop him, "Smutt lemme holla at ya' bro real quick 'fore I speak to you." I look to Arique to see if he's fine with that, he rolls his eyes but doesn't protest, so I go ahead and hop in the drivers seat.

What the fuck he need to holla at Arique about? I ask myself watching them talk outside of my car. I go ahead and start it, so that by the time Weasel is done talking to me I can peel off. They talking like a mother fucker too. Arique look like he has an attitude, standing there with his arms crossed and shit. But they're speaking in hushed tones. Weasels body language looks slumped like he sad or something, but for what though?

After what felt like the longest ten minutes of my life, they clap up like they're making amends. They hop in the car shortly after. "Y'all best friends now or some shit?" I ask laughing lightly.

"You funny," Arique laughs humorlessly, rolling his eyes.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. I'm not gon' do it. I tell myself so I won't check his attitude, because that isn't my place any more.

"Aight, Arique." I return the same chuckle. "What's up Weasel? What'chu needed to holla at me about?" I ask him getting straight to the point. I got other shit I need to be doing.

"How you knew them nigga's was finna come rob the traps?"

Is this nigga serious? I look at him sideways.

"I told you in the house I got into it wit' some nigga who was livin' shife, and I knew he'd come at me sideways."

"What y'all get into it about?" He looks confused. "Do I know the nigga?"

"Nigga came at me about his bitch I used to fuck." Arique makes a low noise in the backseat. I look in the rearview mirror and meet his eyes, he looks hurt. I look back to Weasel though so I can hurry up and get from around here. "I don't know if you know'em." I shrug my shoulders.

"How you knew he was shife?" Weasel presses on.

"Nigga known for bein' a jackboy." I keep my answer short, slowly getting irritated with the questioning.

"Why you let them get them few keys? Ain't that gon' be hard to get back? How you knew it was him that did it?"

"I mean got damn," I exclaim with a humorless chuckle. "Is you the feds or some'mn my nigga?" I ask him.