s e v e n

August 19, 1999

Smutt

"Do you guys want to know the sex of your baby?" The ultrasound technician asks us. I'm with Boo and Arique at her doctors appointment, she is exactly twenty weeks and her due date is December twenty eighth. Boo really liked the doctor that delivered Delontae junior so he's been her gynecologist since then.

"Yes please," I respond, the technician shows us the monitor, and I can already tell it's a boy. Little nigga got his legs open so you can see his genitals clear as day.

"Alright mom and dad, it looks like you're having another boy. Congratulations!" She excitedly tells us.

"Ugh! Another lil boy. Why won't you give me a little girl Smutt?" Ericka asks with a fake pout.

"Can't fault me for my aim bein' on point," I shrug, "I don't miss." I smirk and wink at her. She rolls her eyes playfully, before breaking out in to a smile.

"Well next time, aim for a girl." She nudges me with her elbow playfully.

"Aww mom it's okay. Hopefully next time you'll get your little girl. How do you feel over there uncle? You excited?" She asks Arique who is sitting in the corner of the room.

"Another nephew to spoil. At least his big brother will be happy to boss someone around. We all know had it been a girl she would've been runnin' thangs." He says making everyone laugh lightly.

"Alrighty, the doctor will see you in room three now that this portion is over." The lady gives us some of the sonogram pictures with the body parts typed on each one. Then the last one that says "it's a boy" on it.

We walk out of the room and break off in different directions, Arique to the lobby and us down the hall to where she said the doctor would be waiting for us in a different room. It's empty, but I'm sure he'll be in here shortly.

"Alright mom and dad, so we have another boy coming. Are we excited?" He asks entering the room a few short moments after we did.

"Yes sir, as long as my baby is healthy I don't really care what the gender is." Ericka answers.

"Well thats good! So everything is looking good according to the ultrasound tech. Nice strong heartbeat and his organs are developing properly. Next visit is in four weeks, and it'll be the sugar glucose test. Any questions you guys have for me?"

I didn't have any, so I look to Ericka who shakes her head. "No Dr. Barnes, no questions. I'll see you next month." She hops down from the bed. She's still relatively small. She carries small anyway, when she was nine months pregnant with Bugg she only looked around four months pregnant. He was a good size at seven pounds and ten ounces.

"Alrighty. Until next time. Keep taking your prenatal vitamins and take care of yourself."

"Yes sir," she answers.

We walk out to the front reception area, where Arique is waiting for us, to get her appointment scheduled. Next appointment is on September sixteenth at one p.m. We all head out and climb in the car with Arique holding the door open for Boo.

"Y'all hungry?" I ask them both once we're all in the car.

"Yup." I hear them speak simultaneously.

"What'chall want?"

"You pick, Bookie. It don't really matter to me." Arique suggests from the back seat.

"Hmmm. I want some Mexican food, enchiladas soundin' good right about now."

"Leo's?" I ask to make sure.