2

"Here, sweetie you can take the top bunk, Peter will sleep on the bottom," May says as she helps me bring my bags into Peter's room. I only brought two small duffle bag of stuff and my school backpack to the Parkers' and left the rest of my things back at my apartment.

"Thank you so much, May. You have no clue how much I appreciate this," I thank her for what seems the hundredth time.

"Oh, Felicia, honey, I told you that you don't need to thank me, it's the least Peter and I could do. You're life family," May pulls me in to a tight hug as I smile at Peter.

"Now, I'm going to order some pizza. Peter, why don't you help her unpack!" May vanishes down the hall, leaving Peter and I alone in his room.

We stand there for a moment in awkward silence. But even though Peter's not saying anything, I can see the sorrow in his eyes.

"I'm so sor-"

"I know, Pete," I smile kindly. I know he knows exactly what I'm going through, with losing his parents and then his Uncle Ben. I was right there with him through it all, and now that the tables are turned, it just feels odd.

Peter's eyes shift about his bedroom. It's almost as if he's anxious, like he's hiding something and is nervous that I'll find out.

"Pete, you know that you can tell me anything, right?" I say with a soft, warm smile.

Things have been off with us for a little while now, and I truly hate it.

"Oh yeah, yeah. I know," he says in his high pitch voice that I know he uses when something weird is up.

"It's just... ever since you started your Stark Internship we've been distant," I say honestly, and Peter sighs.

"Yeah, I know. You're right," he takes a seat on the bottom bunk bed. "I've just been so stressed. And I- it's too secret tech stuff that I can't talk about and I-"

"Peter, it's fine," I say assuringly, taking a seat beside him. I place my hand over his in his lap, "I just miss my best friend sometimes. That's all. But he's here, right next to me when I needed him most. And that's all that matters." We share a smile. I see his eyes flicker to my lips and for a moment I think he might actually kiss me. My eyes widen, and I back away from him slightly. Peter backs away from me as well, and a sigh of relief escapes my lips.

I love Peter like a brother, and I know he feels the same way. I'd hate for some stupid little teenage hormones to mess any of that up.

"Look, Pete. I know you're going to be totally against this, but I really just want to sleep at my dad's tonight. I know it seems crazy but... I just need to be home," I tell my best friend. I expect a fight, for Peter to say something like 'No way am I letting you stay there alone after everything that's happened' but he just sat there in silence. I could see the internal struggle on his face.

"Okay," he finally says, much to my surprise.

"Okay?" I repeat back.

"I understand. I mean, remember after my parents died when I slept in my dad's ratty old Led Zeppelin tee for like a year?" Peter says and we both let out a light laugh.

"Oh yeah. The worst part was that you refused to let May wash it," we continue to laugh together.

"I missed this, Pete," I smile, enjoying the moment briefly before heading to the window and opening it.

"Yeah, me too," Peter says softly as I step out onto the fire escape. We exchange soft smiles before I duck out entirely.

I swiftly use my gymnastics skills to maneuver my way to the ground, making my way to the apartment that I had called home for my entire life.

———

The entire apartment was pitch black and freezing cold. The familiar warmth of home had vanished. My legs take me straight to my father's bedroom. Tears escape my eyes as I flip through the clothes of his closet, knowing this is all that is left of his familiar scent. Memories of the two of us flood my mind.

"You're the strongest little girl I've ever seen, Kitty Cat," Dad tells me with a smile as we embark on our walk home from the gymnastics gym.

"Yeah, but I'm still not the best. Cody is both way better than me. Coach Chris told me I'll never be as good as them because he's a boy. He said compared to him, the best I'll ever be is second best," I say with a sad expression.

"What a load of bullshit!" Dad said angrily. "I can't believe that dickhead of a coach is telling that to a little girl, to MY little girl! I ought-" he paused to take a deep breath, calming himself down slightly. "Look, Kitty Cat. Listen to my very carefully, never EVER settle for second best. You want to be the best at gymnastics? Work your butt off and show that Cody kid and your peabrain coach who's really the best. If you love basketball, work hard and become a goddamn great ball player - not a cheerleader, you understand?" he looked down at me seriously as I nodded.

"Yes, Daddy. Never settle for second best. Got it."

Those had been the words I lived by for most of my life. The only time I ever went against them was when I decided to become a cheerleader, the one thing my father told me never to do.

I continue flipping through his closet as I cry. I continue to get more and more frustrated with myself. I hate crying. I hate feeling weak. I let out a frustrated scream as I pull all of the clothes down from the rack and onto the floor. My heavy breathing steadies when I spot a black garment bag hanging on a single hook of the closet's back wall. There was a note taped to the front reading "Kitty Cat - I'm sorry. You are stronger than you'll ever know. You're ready now."

I take the garment bag from the closet and unzip it, revealing a sleek black jumpsuit. He thought I was ready? To come with him on heists?

I am overwhelmed with emotion as I cling the black fabric in my hands.

"You're ready now" I read the words over and over and over again.

"I won't let you down, Dad" I say out loud, and I meant it.

———

A/N:
Thank you for being patient with me! I've had the majority of this chapter written for a long while now but I just lost the motivation for a bit. But I'm BACK! And I hope to update at least once a week so stay tuned :) Please don't forget to comment your opinions and to VOTE! Love you all xx