33

I'm sitting in the back seat of May's car.

Peter takes the front seat, and I'm on the middle back seat, able to see both May, who is driving, and Peter, who is angled slightly sideways so he can see me.

May fires up the engine and starts off to Midtown Tech, the three of us sitting in uncomfortable silence.

"So, how long have you two been... Actually, you know what, it's better if I don't know," May starts, letting out a light laugh to herself, "So, are you kids... Oh, what are you calling it these days... Going steady?" May asks, looking to me in the rear view mirror.

"Going steady?" Peter raises his eyebrows at his aunt, "Uhh yeah- yeah we're- we're together."

Peter reaches back to grab ahold of my hand, intertwining our fingers, each of us with stupid giddy smiles on our face.

"And I know I already asked this, but you are using protection?" May raises her eyebrows at Peter, whose cheeks instantly turn red.

"Yes, May," he groans.

"And do you kids know what do do if that protection... breaks?" May asks, now raising her eyebrows at me through the rear view mirror.

How the Hell am I supposed to answer this...

My stomach drops, my pulse begins to race in panic, but I externally maintain calm.

Peter and May both look to me, awaiting an answer.

"Sure," I say plainly and nonchalantly.

"Which is...?" May prods for a further answer.

I take a deep breath, finally feeling calm at the inevitable.

"Nothing," I say shortly, "I do nothing."

I see a flash of confused expressions from Peter and May before turning my attention away to outside the window.

"Pete, do you remember last year when I got super sick and wasn't getting better?" I ask, my voice slightly monotoned seeing as I am reluctantly having this conversation in the backseat of a car on my way to school.

"Yeah... You said you had the flu," Peter responds, and I can even sense the confusion in his voice.

"Well I thought it was the flu. Dad finally took me to the doc, they rain some tests, turns out I have some thyroid condition. Anyway, yeah, I can't get pregnant, can't have kids, so... the answer to your question, May, is nothing, I do nothing," I say, matter-of-factly.

I am more calm and collected than I thought I would be talking about this. After all, this is the first time I'm really telling anyone. The only person who knew about that stuff was my father...

"But... Why'd you ask me to use...  if—" Peter starts in a quiet tone, but I cut him off.

"I didn't want to have this conversation I guess... I didn't want you to freak out. I know you, Pete, I don't need you treating me like some sympathy case you need to feel bad for, or save," I reveal.

I didn't want you looking at me like you're looking at me right now.

"Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry," May tells me with sympathetic eyes.

"Why," I scoff, "It doesn't matter to me, honestly. I don't want kids, so honestly it's a relief that I'll never have to worry about that."

I am getting grumpier and grumpier with each sympathetic glance.

"You... you don't want kids? Like ever?" Peter asks me with his stupid big brown puppy dog eyes.

"Pete, I've said that since we were kids. I never want to have kids. Ever. You know this," I inform him, annoyance obvious in my voice.

I watch Peter's face fall.

He knew this. You've been saying you don't want kids since you were five years old. Don't let him guilt you. Don't let him make you weak, I tell myself.

"Anyway," I say, abruptly changing my tone, "May, are you still good to drive me and Peter to the formal tonight?"

"I- uh... Yes. Yes, sweetie, seven thirty, right?" May asks as she chippers up.

"Yes, that's perfect," I smile, giving Peter's hand a squeeze.

We then pull up to the front of Midtown Tech, the car coming to a halt.

"Have a great day today, kids! Love you," May blows us kisses as we get out of the car.

"Hey," I say to Peter, interlocking my arms around the back of his neck. "Can we just... forget about all that kids stuff? I mean we're sixteen for God's sake. Right now, all that matters is I love you, and you love me," I say with a smile before leaning up to place a kiss on Peter's lips. "You do still love me, right?" I jokingly raise an eyebrow at him, causing Peter to let out a light chuckle before pressing his lips to mine again.

"Felicia," Peter smiles, his face inches from mine, "You are the person I love most in this world."

My smile grows at Peter's words.

"We doing this?" I ask as I pull away, nudging my head in the direction of the school.

Peter intertwines his fingers with mine.

And with that, we walk into Midtown Tech, hand in hand, for the first time as an "official" couple.

———

A/N:

ANOTHER update!!! Sorry if that was a bit "dark" of a tone, but that's kind of an important aspect for their relationship/Felicia's personality (she doesn't want kids/a family/a conventional lifestyle) i'm SO excited to share the next chapter with y'all! something BIG is coming!!!

Please don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT your thoughts, opinions, and predictions! Thanks so much for reading :)