26

"I have a proposition for you that I think would be a grave mistake to turn down," Norman tells me. I gulp, awaiting to see what exactly his proposal is. "I know, Felicia. I know everything," he says with a wide grin.

I feel my stomach drop.

"Y-you do?" I ask timidly, my pulse beating faster and faster.

"I know your secret. I know all about your little midnight marauds. I know, Felicia, that you're Black Cat," Norman says, a conniving smile plastered on his face.

I pause, unsure if Norman knows more than he's leading on.

"I- I don't know what you're talking about," I say in response, not willing to give in just yet.

"Oh, Felicia... There is so much that you don't know..." he says condescendingly.

"What do you mean," I sharply respond.

"Your father used to work for me. We had an arrangement, not unalike the one I am willing to offer you— keep the Spider out of my business and he maintains his anonymity," Norman reveals, cocking his head to the side, "So, Felicia, I offer you this— keep up your feud with Spider-Man at the locations I tell you to, and I don't reveal your identity to the authorities."

My face is completely blank out of pure shock.

"But- why?" I manage to stammer.

"Because I don't want Spider-Man messing with my plans, not yet at least," Norman unveils, causing me to have even more questions. "Come on, Felicia. You and me, we have a common enemy. This way, you and the Spider get to fight amongst yourselves, you get to keep doing what you love, and I get to keep doing my work without him intervening, huh?" he raises his eyebrows at me.

"Okay," I say, not entirely confident with the decision to work for Norman, but unsure of what else to do. "So what, you just tell me an address and that's where I go?" I question him.

"More or less. I'll be in touch," Norman smirks. I still have an extremely uneasy feeling in my stomach.

I jump at all the feeling of my cell phone buzzing in my pocket.

I pull it out, looking at the screen to see a new message.

Peter: I'm almost done... Are you at your dad's? I can come get you soon if you want :)

I glance back up at Norman after reading the text.

"Something wrong?" he asks with his twisted grin.

"No, it's just Peter. I... We have plans later," I say cautiously, not wanting to tell Norman any more than I have to.

"I see," Norman folds his arms at his chest. "Big plans tonight?"

"Um... You could say that," I tell him, trying to keep a straight face, but I can't help the smile creeping onto my face as I think of Peter.

I look back down to my phone, typing a response to Peter.

Felicia: i'm at harry's. you know i can never find my way back home from here so you have no choice but to come get me ;)

I look back up to Norman who is staring with me with a somehow even bigger smirk.

"I'm going to go find Harry," I inform Norman as I stand from my seat.

As I begin down the hall, my phone buzzes again - another text from Peter.

Peter: Harry's? Should I be jealous? JK ;) I'm on my way

I reach Harry's bedroom, knocking on the door before pushing it open.