17

It had been too damn long since I'd gone out on a heist, and frankly, I need this.

Today was such a complete whirlwind of confusion in light of my feelings for Peter, and I decided it's best to go back to the one thing I can always rely on to not be confusing - burgling.

I had meticulously planned what my next job would be, and I decided that my first heist back should be a piece of cake. I arrive at the Queens Pawn Shop near 2 in the morning. The job was simple - get in, get the cash, get the jewelry, get out. The pawn shop didn't have good security whatsoever. Everything was outdated, manual locks that could easily be picked or broken, and they hadn't updated their security system since the 80's so God knows if they even still have a contact with a security company anymore.

I go in through the back door, picking their lock in mere seconds. No alarm audibly sounds, but I'm paranoid about a silent alarm, so I have to make it fast.

The vault in the back of the store is old, and I crack it with ease as I listen for the three clicks.

I grab the wads of cash, shoving them into the black sack I had brought.

I then head to the front of the store. All of the high price jewelry is behind a glass case. I take a moment to ponder whether I want to take the time to pick the case's lock, or be a little more showy and smash the glass. I decide the latter simply isn't Black Cat's style, so I start on the lock, successfully picking it with ease.

I begin to grab the jewelry, shoving multiple gold watches into my bag, when I am interrupted by none other than Spider-Man swinging, rather over dramatically, into the front of the pawn shop.

Of course the one time I specifically go on a heist to avoid Peter, he shows up 

"Not you again," I huff.

"Black Cat," he exclaims, "I thought we went over this - you bad guy, me good guy, good guy fights bad guy."

I roll my eyes at his arrogance.

"Look, Spidey. We both know how this is going to go. I always win," I say sternly before doing a walkover up and over the jewelry case and kicking Spider-Man with the full force of my entire body, slamming against the wall.

"I feel like we've been here before," I tease, my hands sliding seductively up his chest.

It then flashes back into my mind that the person behind the mask is Peter Parker, and my confidence slips away. I don't feel the same around Peter Parker. 

Peter Parker makes me take my walls down. Peter Parker makes me vulnerable. Peter Parker makes me happy and safe. Peter Parker makes me good. I can't be good, not now at least, not when I'm Black Cat.

Spider-Man cocks his head at my weary expression.

I snap back into combat mode momentarily, striking Spider-Man- or rather, Peter- in the throat, giving me just enough time to slip away, out the back door, and down the alley.

I am overwhelmed with the conflict of my emotions and  identity, going back and forth between Peter and Spider-Man.

Pete's my best friend, I cannot feelings like that for him...

But Black Cat can have feelings like that for Spider-Man, right?

But I am Black Cat... and Peter is Spider-Man...

I take a moment to catch my breath, sitting beside a dumpster so that no one could see me.

After what felt like hours of contemplation, I finally come to a decision: