34

I never knew what it's like to be the center of attention until recently.

Things have been relatively low key following the events of Flash's party.

I felt like I was back to being invisible, but when Peter and I walked into school holding hands, all eyes were on us.

I can't get that feeling out of my head.

The attention, the eyes on me, the guys and girls ogling, all of it creating some sort of twisted rush.

But that rush is gone now as I stand at the front door to the Osborn penthouse, anxiously awaiting Norman Osborn's company.

"Felicia," he says with a twisted smile as he opens the door for me, "Please, come on in, take a seat, make yourself comfortable."

There is a contorted feeling in my stomach, like something bad is about to happen. But it's inevitable, and there's nothing I can do while I'm at the whim of Norman Osborn.

"Now, Felicia," Norman sighs as we each take seats in armchairs in the living room, "I asked you here because before we can move forward as business partners, there is a very important matter that I must discuss with you."

Norman clicks a button on a small remote control, which signals the massive flatscreen to turn on. On the screen, there appears to be an untitled audio file of some sort.

"It's about your father's... tragic death," Norman says in a serious tone. I shudder at the mention of my father. "I came across the audio recording of the dispatch call reporting your father's robbery... I was able to find out who exactly was responsible for his demise, Felicia," Norman says plainly.

There is a spark ignited in me, a sudden anger that's hungry for vengeance.

"Who is he? Give me the bastard's name and I'll kill him myself," I say bluntly, careful not to show Norman too much emotion.

"Well... Here, I think you should just take a listen," Norman tells me before clicking a button, signaling for the audio file to begin playing.

"Hi, police?" the voice on the recording says, and my heart drops into the pit of my stomach. I could recognize that voice anywhere.

It can't be... I tell myself, but the voice goes on.

"Yeah, this is your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man here. There's a bad guy robbing Marchesi Jewelers off 6th Street. I can't really be in two places at once, so if you could catch him, that'd be great! Thanks!"

My body is frozen.

I don't know what to do or say.

"Felicia..." Norman says softly. I had never heard Norman speak so cautiously or tenderly before. It's almost as if he's being... sympathetic.

I look to Norman, peering at him with my piercing angry, and a small smirk begins to grow on his face.

"You know what you need to do, Felicia," he tells me, folding his hands in his lap.

My breath hitches in my throat, knowing that I could never actually kill Peter... my best friend... my boyfriend.

I love him...

At least I did...

"I... I can't" I gulp, my gaze defeatedly shifting to the floor.

"Exactly as I thought..." Norman says in a tone of disappointment.

I think for a second that maybe I might be about to cry, but then I realize that I'm not sad, not even a little bit.

I am infuriated.

———

I get a ride home in one of Norman's town cars.

I am dreading seeing Peter, but I am practically incapable of avoiding him.

I hesitantly open the front door to the apartment, cautious that Peter is home.

"Oh, sweetie, there you are! C'mere, I set you all up to get ready in my room," May herds me down the hall.

I take a seat at her vanity, sighing at the sight of my tired eyes.

I carefully slap some makeup on, do a sexy smoky cat eye, and finish it off with a coat of cherry red lipstick.

Once I curl my hair, I almost don't even recognize myself. I mean, I'm still me, but I feel more like Black Cat than Felicia Hardy.

Maybe that's a good thing, I tell myself, Maybe this is who you're meant to truly be.

I walk over to the door, of which my dress is hanging on the back off.

The red, satin material is even more luxurious than I remember.

I tug my clothes off and carefully pull the dress on.

"Kids! I'm running down to pick up the flowers! I'll be right back!" May yells throughout the apartment, followed by the sound of the front door slamming closed behind her.

I reach behind me, struggling to zip up my dress, but failing miserably.

"Peter?" I say while walking down the hall toward Peter and I's room.

He opens the door just as I approach it.

"Woah," he says under his breath as his eyes roam my body.

"Can you zip me up?" I ask him coyly, turning around and pulling my hair to one side, exposing the unzipped back of my dress.

Peter doesn't say anything. He just cautiously grabs the zipper, pulling it up at a painstakingly slow pace.

He is so close to me, I can feel the warmth of his breath against my neck.

Once the zipper is all the way up, Peter leans down, pressing a light kiss on the exposed crook of my neck.

I turn around swiftly.

The anger rises at me as I look into Peter's brown eyes that I had grown to love.

Now all I think of as I look into them is the fact that they are the eyes of the person responsible for my father's death, the person who betrayed my trust by keeping it secret all this time.

And yet, I can't help but want to jump his bones.

Peter's lips crash elegantly onto mine, as if it was carefully choreographed.

I push him slightly, causing him to take a few steps back so we are both now in the bedroom.

One last time... I tell myself, We'll do this one last time, then I'm ending it after the formal. For good.

———
A/N:

Another updaaaate!

QUESTION: Do you prefer when I post an update right when I'm finished writing it (like I do now) OR would you prefer an update schedule (example: one new chapter every Sunday)? Let me know in the comments!!

A LOT happened this chapter! What do you think Felicia's going to do?? ;) Please don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT your thoughts, opinions, and predictions!! :)

As always, thank you for reading!! xx