XXVIII - Pancakes

It's been a year since I left Omaha. Today was the day I graduated and would move onto University. I got accepted in to UCLA so colleges weren't a big struggle anymore. Tuition wasn't that expensive since I was a resident in the state and since I got offered many scholarships and financial aid programs I had nothing to worry about.

Alex walked away from home about a week after I left Omaha and moved to his dad in Europe. We would Skype occasionally but besides that we didn't talk. I haven't spoken to or seen Lexi since December, when she had drunk dialed me, hysterically screaming about how I just left her and how I didn't love her and how I wasn't a real friend, before she broke into wailing sobs and cried about how she missed me and wanted me to come back and how she wanted things to go back to normal. That day I was so tempted to take my car and drive back to Omaha but I couldn't because school was my number one priority at the time.

I was senior when I applied to school here so things became serious; I tried to keep a balance between my social life, school life, and sleep, but it was impossible. The first two months I had sleep with social life which ended up in my GPA dropping, so I started focusing on education and social life, which was hard ,considering I had social life in California and Omaha and the balance was totally unequal. Eventually I just decided to drop it all and focus solely on education and sleep since that was what was most important in the aid of my own future.

My phone rang from my desk as I was putting on my white heels, finishing off what needed to be done before I attended the graduation ceremony. I huffed in annoyance before wobbling to my desk with my shoe half put on, picking up instantly.

"Hello?" I sighed, forgetting to have checked the caller ID even though I was pretty sure who it was.

"Julie! Are you ready? We wanted to go party later tonight after the ceremony, are you up for it?" April exclaimed, loud music in the background.

"The ceremony ends at one, though," I murmured, going back to my shoes while balancing my phone between my ear and shoulder. "That's PM, by the way, not AM."

"I know dipwad, we're gonna have lunch first with a big group before going out. Now are you coming or not?"

My curled tendrils of hair kept falling in my eyes while I was bending down to get the clasp across, and I frustratedly tried to blow it out of my face. "Sure. Who else is going to drop your drunk ass home?"

"You're the only one for me, babe." She said with a husky voice, bursting into laughter afterwards. "Oh yeah, can you pick me up in a bit, my ride bailed." She sighed.

"Wasn't Nesmay taking you?"

"Was. As in past tense. Her car broke down so her dad's taking her."

"If you're not ready in ten minutes I'm leaving you." I finally stated and hung up before getting up and straightening out my short white dress. The butterflies in my stomach at the idea of graduating was excessive. My brother would meet me there since he still had some things to do and my mom was working so she'd drop by later.

I haven't talked to my dad since we left, ignoring all his messages and calls. Just like with Gilinsky except he never messaged or called me. I did occasionally drop by my brothers dorm which he shared with Gilinsky but he'd always make sure he wasn't there when I visited.

Even though we were both in the same state, he never bothered to talk to me or visit me which did hurt. I used to think he only hurt me so I'd get mad and it'd be easier for me to go, but if that was true, why didn't he just call me now?

I sighed, slowly shaking my head as if to rid myself of the thought. I grabbed all the necessary graduation equipment and a change of clothes before lastly putting on my little messenger bag and leaving the house.