Pulitzer Prize

Monday, June 17th, 2019, is the day which the Pulitzer Prize winners will be announced. Diana Kennedy the Pulitzer Prize Administrator will announce all the winners in 14 journalism and seven letters, drama and music categories at the National City University.

Among dozens of finalists, Kara Danvers are nominated for Investigative Reporting category. The other finalists are Matthew Harrison, Dave Burton and Katherine McGray. The ace reporter from Catco is sitting nervously on her chair.

Ring ring ring

Kara picks up the video call from the Superfriends.

"Hey! What's up? How are you? Beat their asses!!!" They all say simultaneously.

"Um, guys. Take it easy on me," Kara covers her ears.

"Sis, we're all rooting for you," Alex smiles.

"If you could straighten your dress a little," Nia points to the bottom left.

Kara quickly gets rid of the wrinkles and mumbles a quick thank you. Nia gives her a thumbs up.

"Have you practice your speech? Because there is a 96.9 percent you'll win the Pulitzer," Brainy states.

"Win or Lose, we're throwing a party at Catco tonight. Being a finalist is an achievement too ," James raises his glass of wine.

"We're proud of you," J'onn expresses his thoughts.

"Thank you all. But do you know where Lena is?"

"Unfortunately, she has lots of work to do. She said she'd be here, but I don't think that'd happened," Alex explains. "Worry not. I'm certain she is watching the live stream," she adds.

Kara smiles weakly.

"Don't forget to smile for the camera," Nia giggles.

***

"Without further delay, the winner for Investigative Reporting is Kara Danvers for Lex Luthor's anti-alien act; is it personal?!" Diana Kennedy speaks to the microphone. Kara covers her mouth in shock. The other finalists congratulate her before Kara walks to the podium to receive her prize.

Diana presents the prize to Kara, who gladly takes it. "Wow. Someone pinch me, please. This is surreal," the reporter laughs. Kara clears her throat. "I would like to thank you my role model Cat Grant. She has been a great mentor. My sister, Alex and my super friends for their encouragement and full support. Last but not the least, my best friend, Lena Luthor. I wish she'd be here today. The reason I pursue my career as a reporter is because of her. I could never done my article without you, so thank you," Kara speaks directly to the camera.

***

"Miss Luthor, have you heard the news? Miss Danvers won the Pulitzer Prize for her article on your brother's exposure." Jess says.

The raven hair woman doesn't say a word. Jess excuses herself.

Lena listens to the speech on her laptop while drinking whiskey. "She befriends me and offers support. So she can dig information of my dysfunctional family story. Now, she got a Pulitzer winning story while I got a funeral to attend," she chuckles dryly. "Arrgghh!" Lena gets rid of her things, which are on her desk. The sound of her laptop breaking makes Jess jump in her seat.

"Is everything okay?" the assistant asks.

Lena looks up with red eyes, "I'll go home. Could you please clean the mess?"

"Of course. I'll inform your chauffeur to fetch you in the lobby."

The CEO grabs her phone while the other clutching on a photo frame. On her way out, she dumps it in the dustbin.

***

"Miss Danvers, congratulations on your winning. I'm Harriett from Daily Planet. I've read your article and it truly shows in depth investigation."

"Thank you. I always push myself further with every story I write. I make sure that I cover all the elements, supported by evidences and nothing by facts before publishing them to the readers," Kara says.

"One more question. How do you feel about Lena selling Catco?"

The camera focuses on Kara who is speechless.

"Your words, Miss?" 

Kara blinks a few times and mumbles excuse me before she leaves the conference room.

***

Kara now dressed as Supergirl flies to L-Corp. She changes to her normal clothes before entering the building.

"Stop right there, Miss Danvers. You are not allowed to enter," the security holds her.

"I have an unlimited access."

"Our boss has revoked it."

"What the fluff! There must be a mistake. Let me talk to Lena."

The security guards shake their heads.

"Urgh." Kara turns on her heels. She goes to a secluded parking area before flying to the top floor.

***

"Jess," she greets. 

"Kara Danvers. What a surprise. Wait. You shouldn't be here. How do you pass the guards?"

"Thank you. About that, why did my access got revoked?"

"It's one of a few sudden decisions that Miss Luthor did. Selling Catco, step down from L-Corp, ..." 

"She did what?" Kara interrupts.

"Lately, she's been distant. Something is bugging her but I don't know what. I should've cast you out but Miss Luthor is not here anyway," Jess shrugs her shoulder. "Just don't make any mess."

Kara scans the room and she notices a discarded photo in the trash can. She picks it up and it reveals her selfie with Lena which they took back in the Christmas party. There's a red cross on her face along with a writing.

"Bad liar." 

Kara flips the picture and there's more writing.

If you read this note, you should've known that I know who you are (Supergirl)

I've been opening up to you for the last three years

And you've been lying to my face ever since

Lilian, Lex and Eve betrayed me

I thought you were different

You're not.