Mother

The second Sunday in May is a holiday in the USA as we call it Mother's Day. It is a dedication to all mothers and motherhood.

On Friday, every student of Midvale Junior High School go to school with their mothers to celebrate the special day. There are a lot of activities to do in the classroom such as bake a cake, write a poem, storytelling of their favorite moment with their mothers or performing an original song.

Everyone is enjoying their time, except one girl. Away from the schoolground, she goes to Swan Lake to hide her sadness. She buries her face in between her knees while sobbing.

Touched by the sight, another girl slowly approching. Carefully, she places a gentle hand on the sobbing girl's shoulder. The girl flinched.

"Hey. Are you okay?"

The girl turns her head and quickly wipe her tears.

"You're not okay. Urgh. Why am I so stupid by asking the obvious," the blonde girl rolls her eyes. "Anyway, I see you hurting and I think it would be better if ..."

"Leave me alone," the raven hair girl cuts her midsentence.

"Actually I bring potstickers and I want to share it with you, hoping it would cheer you up," the taller girl opens her lunch box.

"My mom taught me to never accept food from strangers."

"She did the right thing. Let me introduce myself. My name is Kara. I'm 6th grader. What is your name?"

"Lena. I am in eigth grade."

Kara bites her inner cheek. "You seem younger than me yet you are in Alex my sister's class. Weird."

"I call it genius. My IQ score is 193. I should've been in university already but I'm still choosing between Harvard and MIT."

Kara shrugs. "Do you want potstickers? Or is it below your standard?"

"I am human," Lena takes one piece.

A comfortable silence fall upon them. That is until Kara gets hiccups. She drinks her soda to get rid of it. Then she burps loudly.

"Oopsie," Kara blushes.

Seeing her new friend's antics, Lena smiles. For the first time since she was four, she doesn't need to fake one.

"Glad to know that you find it amusing. You should smile more, it makes you look even prettier. Not too much, or the goddesses will be jealous of you."

This comment makes the genius girl's brain stops working. Did she just call me beautiful?

Lena snaps out of her reverie when Kara places a finger under her chin.

"Better close your mouth or you'll catch flies," Kara giggles.

"I should go back," Lena says.

"Wait. We still have 15 minutes break. Why don't you tell me the reason you're crying?" Kara asks.

"Nosy much."

"Ah. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. But my mom said keeping your emotions inside is unhealthy. So, if you want to talk, I'm all ears."

Lena unlocks her phone. The home screen shows a toddler in floral dress being thrown in the air by a young woman. She smiles then put it in her pocket.

"I run away from Ms. Grant's class. Today, we are supposed to tell our favorite time with our mother. I don't have one," Lena starts. "The only memory I have of her was watching her swim in the lake when she suddenly drowning. I didn't do anything. I just stood on the shore, froze up in terror. She died when I was four."

"I'm sorry."

"Why? It's not your fault. It's mine," Lena whispers the last part. "Then I was adopted by the Luthors. A disfunctional family. Lionel with his drinking problems, Lilian is an abusive, sick bitch." To prove her point, Lena lifts up her shirt a little. "She cuts me with a razor blade when I accidentally broke her vase from China."

"That's awful. Have you reported her? My father is a policeman. He can help."

"Thank you for the offer but it's too late. Their funeral was held four months ago. Their car crashed after Lionel hit a tree on their way home from a party. Once again, I'm an orphan. I started to think that I'm cursed," Lena chuckles dryly.

"Shouldn't you be in a foster home or something?" Kara pinches herself for her rude statement.

"I have an older half-brother Lex. He is my guardian. We are not close but he is normal in comparison to his parents. Now, he is a freshman in uni. He visits me twice a year."

"Take my hand," Kara says. "Quick."

Lena is being dragged to the school. Kara never lets go of her arms. When they arrive at Ms. Grant's class, Kara opens the door and scans the room; searching for her mother. Kara and Lena are out of breath when they're standing in front of a worried woman and a pissed sister.

"Mom this is Lena. And Lena this my mother, Eliza." They both shake hands. "Can you please adopt her mom?" Kara asks.

*** end of flashback ***

"Mommy, what if I forget the lyrics?" A young girl asks, worry evident on her face.

"Every thing is under control. I already print out a poster with the lyrics," Kara shows the papers.

"Isn't that considered cheating? Besides, I cannot read the words. So tiny."

"We call it a strategy to win. Wear this glasses. The right button is to zoom-in. Press the left button to zoom-out. That way you can read the lyrics," Lena winks.

"I still don't think it's fair."

Lena lowers herself to the girl's level. "Lori Danvers-Luthor, you are the brightest kid I've ever met. Who could make a drone at the age of five? Only you. And I know that you have a photographic memory. You memorize the lyrics already. What you need is to sing it by heart," Lena reassures her daughter.

"Honey, I'll go to save our seats."
Kara kisses Lori's cheeks. "Break a leg. Not literally."

Lori giggles, "Thank you mommy."

Lena watches as her wife leaves. She is about to go as well when Lori tugs her arm. "Mom, can I have the glasses?"

"Here you go, sweetie." Lena hands the glasses. Lori takes it and quickly tries the hidden features.

*

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have seen many great performances from Midvale Elementary School. Before the judges announce the winners, we still have one last contestant. Please give a round of applause to Lori."

Lori steps out from behind the stage. She grips the microphone tightly and take a deep breath. Her eyes are looking around the hall to find her mothers. She waves a little when their eyes meet.

Lena is ready with her camera to record her girl's performance. While Kara is holding the poster high in the air.

Lori presses the right button to see the lyrics and surprised to see what is written.

"Mom and Mommy believe in You"

The little girl smiles and starts to sing wholeheartedly. Her mom is right. She memorizes the song by heart because it's a song that they compose together. Deep down, she knows it. She just needs someone else to say it to make it real, to make her believe of her potential.

*

"The winner for Mother's day 202singing contest is Lori Danvers-Luthor."

The headmaster gives Lori her trophy and a bouquet. She smiles to the camera with her two missing teeth.

"That's my girl." Kara and Lena both say simultaneously.

A/N I'll edit it later. Sorry if there's any typo or grammar errors 😀