Happy Birthday Part 2

“Lá breithe shona duit, lá breithe shona duit, lá breithe shona, lá breithe shona duit.”

Lena could have sworn that she heard someone sang from the balcony. Who is it? Curiosity gets the best of her, so she goes to investigate.

The National City Superhero sits on the edge of the balcony, clapping her hands to the beat. She stops midsong when Lena clears her throat.

“Supergirl, what are you doing here?”

“To wish you a Happy Birthday, Miss Luthor.” Supergirl takes out a crumpled card from her skirt’s pocket. “It’s not in the best condition but I hope you like it.”

“Thank you.”

“Your welcome.”

Lena opens the card, it says A year older and you’re more beautiful than ever. Happy birthday to my dear friend in gold ink. “Is this some kind of prank?”

“Huh?”

“How come you have a hallmark birthday card with Kara’s handwritting?”

Supergirl scratches her head unsure how to respond. “I-i uh I mean she asked me a favor.”

“Which is?” Lena furrows her eyebrows.

“While I try to buy time, Kara Danvers is baking a cake at her apartment. She should be here anytime soon.”

Supergirl pretends to use her super hearing. “Oh, she’s in the elevator already. Gotta go.” The hero is ready to fly when she feels a tug on her cape.

“Would you like to stay? The more the merrier.” Lena smiles.

“I’m afraid I have to decline the offer. I don’t want to impose,” the blonde girl smiles back.

***

Kara takes a deep breath and knocks. In instant, the door opens, revealing Lena in her night gown.

“I’m so sorry. I forgot that we had a plan to celebrate your birthday tonight. I got so caught up with Cadmus. Please forgive me.” Kara presents a single chocolate cup cake.

“Hello to you to Kara.” Lena invites her in. “When Supergirl told me you’re baking a cake, I thought it would be bigger.”

“It’s an apology cake. Your rainbow cake is here.” Kara lifts up the paper bag.     

Lena takes a step forward and hugs her best friend. “Apology accepted.”

***

“Don’t you think it’s a bit excessive?” Lena’s eyes scan the cake, red wine, potstickers and pepperoni pizza on the dining table.

“No. You can eat as many as you want, I’ll finish the rest,” Kara replies. “Oh rao. Who is that cutie over there?” She points to the teddy bear.

“It’s Lizzie. My mom gave it to me when I was three.”

“May I?”

Lena nods and laughs when Kara places a party hat on Lizzie.

“I bring two more,” Kara grins while Lena groans. Later they take a selfie, though Lena looks annoyed, she can’t help but smile.

***

It’s 3 AM, both girls are cuddling on the couch. Kara is playing with Lena’s hair, whispering sweet words to her ear. It makes Lena yawns. The slow and steady heartbeats showing that Lena is asleep.

“Did you tell Supergirl that I have irish background?”

“Huh?” Startled, Kara thinks the girl in her arms is sleeping already. “Nope,” Kara answers.

“It’s strange. Earlier, Supergirl sang Happy Birthday song in irish on my balcony. Badly may I add.”

Kara flinches at that. Is it the pronounciation or was it the false start? I did better on my second attempt though.

“What’s your birthday wish?” Kara changes the subject.

“My wish is granted already.” Lena nuzzles up against her friend, burying her face in Kara’s chest.

“That’s great. What do you wish for?”

It’s barely audible but with super hearing, Kara hears it loud and clear. Lena wished for Kara-herself to celebrate with her.

“Let me see your face,” Kara demands. She brings her hand to Lena’s cheek. “From now on, Lizzie won’t be your only companion, you have me too. Whenever you need me, I'll be there.” Kara gazes at Lena tenderly. Slowly she leans up and presses a kiss to her forehead.

“Happy birthday, my Irish girl.”