Grandview Memorial Park (2)

Lillian closes her eyes. “There are times when we fight for love and to let go. Tonight, it’s time to take away this never ending sorrow.” Lillian stands up but Kara stops her.

“You’ve got a hundred million reasons to let her go but she just needs one to stay.”

“Tell me,” Lillian challenges.

“Love,” Kara says. “Lena is more than just a friend nor a daughter. She is our angel. She hasn’t give up yet, so don’t lose hope. We’re in this together,” Kara stands up and comes face to face with her mother-in-law. “I’m begging you, don’t take her from us. I love her.”

For a split second, Lillians sees her daughter’s face. She recalls a distant memory from Lena’s sweet seventeen birthday party. She was grinning from ear to ear when she brought Kara. “Mother, let me introduce you to my one and only girlfriend. The love of my life whom I will marry someday. Kara Danvers.”

Lillian sighs and shakes her head. "If I were you, I would use the remaining time wisely and please treat your wounded hand.”

The moment the door closed, the room starts spinning. Kara walks absentmindedly to Lena’s bed but trips on her feet. Her head collides with the ground and she loses consciousness.

.

.

.

Kara jolts awake from her slumber. Her eyes fall on the photo frame besides the bed. The picture is taken at Grandview Memorial Park. The day when Luthor and Danvers family mourn over a loving woman. She smiles sadly.

“Come in,” Kara answers when she hears a knock on her door.

“The driver will be ready in forty minutes. I have picked out a black suit for you,” Eve informs. “Do you want to have breakfast first?”

“An omelette would be fine. Is she ready yet?” Eve nods then excuses herself.

The ride to the cemetery passes in silence. She is sitting by the window, watches a lightning strikes then the thunder follows in distance. The passenger besides her crouches down covering their ears.

Kara puts a protective arm around the frail woman’s body and whispers soothing words. Fear creeps in the younger woman’s face. Her green eyes darkened and Kara knows she is taken back to the horrid night in Hadbourg Mountain that will linger on forever. “Don’t be afraid, love. I’m here with you.”

By the time they reach their destination, the rain has stopped although the skies are grey. Alfred takes out a wheelchair from the trunk and offers to help but Kara dismisses him. Slowly, she pushes the wheelchair and keeps it steady.

“Is it far?”

“Not really. Just five minutes walk.”

“I like it here.” Lena surveys the scene before her. Rows of tombstones stand to the left and right, in front and behind. “It’s peaceful.”

Kara stops in front of Lillian Luthor’s tombstone, a smooth black marble with gold writing Good things do come to those who wait” with under her name. Then, she places a bouquet of lily /her favorite/ as a tribute.

“It takes some time to regain my strength but I’m finally here. Mother, I’m home.” Lena’s eyes resting on her mother’s name, her heart skips a beat hearing the sound of Lillian’s voice as if she were right there with her. Lena doesn’t say a single word after. She’s lost in the memories which they shared.

...

“Who would’ve thought that I’d be the one standing here,” Lena cracks a joke.

Kara lets out a small laugh. “Years ago, she was ready to bid you goodbye. She had lost hope. But I told her to be patience for it is the best quality in the world. So, we waited for you to come back to us. When Jack Spheer came to town with his nanotechnology idea, it’s like our prayers have been answered. Unfortunately, there was a flaw in it. The chance for you to live a normal life is slim.”

Lena knows Kara refers to her paralysed legs. “Thank you for not giving up on me. And thank you for being a caring and supportive daughter to my mother when I wasn’t around.”

“It's the least I could do, since I’m her daughter-in-law.” Kara plays with the diamond ring on her finger.

“Oh.” Lena points out a rainbow in the sky. “Beautiful.” Kara agrees but her eyes are fixated on the woman who captured her stole her heart.

“Kara.” Lena’s voice brings her wife out of her reverie. “Can I ask you a question?”

“What is it, love?”

"So, the perfect happy lives we want is just a naive dream but it’s worth fighting for, don’t you think?”

Kara tilts Lena's head and catches her lips in a smoldering kiss. Then Lena can feel the smile strecthes across Kara lips and she simply replies, “I’d suffer and die as long as it’s for the right person, the right reason."

"I love you." Lena gazes at Kara tenderly and takes her hand in hers. "Always."

AN: RIP Chadwick Boseman 🖤