Happy Birthday

Lena Luthor never has a birthday party. Although, she remembers vaguely that her biological mother would bake some some scones and light a candle to celebrate her anniversary.

Since she was adopted by the Luthor, they could care less about a certain day. No gift, cake nor a birthday greeting.

Each year, the jet black girl locks herself in her bedroom and sings happy birthday while clapping her hands. Her only companion is a teddy bear which her mother gave her.

This morning, she wakes up with a smile on her face. She has a lunch date with Kara Danvers, someone dear to her. Hopefully, she will get to spend her day with the Ace Reporter.

***

“Boss, a bouquet of flowers from board members just came in,” Jess walks in. “Where do you want me to put them?”

“As far as possible. If I’m not mistaken, there’s an Aster amellus at the back,” Lena scratches the tip of her nose.

“Yes, miss Luthor.”

***

“Why they give you flowers?” Kara asked.

“A lot of reasons, it may express appreciation, support or they simply want to send me to hospital. It’s not a secret that I’m allergic to aster,” Lena rolls her eyes.

“What’s the occasion?”

“It’s a special day,” Lena beams. “I turn 24 today and I would like to invite you for dinner at my place. You can say no, I’d understand because this come at very short notice. Although, it would be an honor if you could join me because you’re literally the only friend I have in National City and ...”

“I’ll be there,” Kara says, eyes glued to her phone screen.

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Is 7 works or is it too early? We could do 8.”

“8 please,” Kara replies while tapping furiously.

“Great. Is everything okay?”

“Nope. Snapper wants me to follow a lead on Cadmus. I’m sorry but I-i have to go.” Kara stands up and grabs her purse.

“Okay, I’ll be waiting for you,” Lena says sweetly and leans closer to hug the reporter.

***

8:37 p.m.

“Should I send a text? Or is it too early?”

8:52 p.m.

“The message was delivered but not read.”

9:46 p.m.

“It’s weird. My call goes straight to voicemail. Let’s give it another try.”

“Hello! You've reached the voicemail. Please leave your message after the beep. Beep!”

Lena sighs. “Kara, I believe that you’re forget about the dinner. It’s okay. There’s always next year (nervous laugh) You’re probably still busy with investigating Cadmus. Be careful. Bye.”

10:15 p.m.

“The food is cold.” Lena grimaces. “I’ll better save them for tomorrow.”

The birthday girl looks up to the empty seat across the table. “She could’ve said no instead giving me false hope. Isn’t that right, Lizzie?” Lena talks to her teddy bear at her side. She takes the stuffed animal and hugs it tightly to her chest. “I wished today would be different.”

11:58 p.m.

The room is dark, until Lena lights a candle and holds it in her hand. Slowly, the heat of the flame melts the wax and she flinches as it comes in contact to her finger but she never lets go.

Eventually, the flame gets to the bottom and before it dies, Lena whispers I wish you were here then blows the candle.