Euthanasia (1)

Kara looks at the patient tenderly, she leans up and presses a lingering kiss to her forehead. Then, she brings her hand and caresses the sleeping woman's hollow cheek, running her thumb over the burnt spot and sheds tears.

"You're beautiful, even now, as broken as you are, with your shoulder slumped over, scars everywhere, greasy hear, and with all the machines connecting to your body."

"She is beautiful," Lillian repeats.

Kara turns around. "Why the doctor's here? Check up time isn't for another thirty minutes."

"Dr. Ramirez and I, we have been discussing about Lena's future."

"What do you mean?"

"I have monitored Miss Luthor's condition and her body keeps getting weaker and weaker. We have given our best and tried numerous treatments but nothing works. There is no hope for recovery. Dare I say, she's practically died without the machines. That's why, we've come to a conclusion," Dr. Ramirez pauses. He glances at Lillian who nods and continues, "We will perform euthanasia at 7 pm o'clock. You have an hour to say goodbye."

Kara freezes in her placr. Life support. Sixty minutes. Euthanasia.

"You're going to KILL her," the blonde woman shouts. She grabs the doctor by the collar and balls her fist. The doctor shuts his eyes and waits for the impact.

KAPOW!

A hole forms on the wall, inches beside the doctor's head. "I'm sorry," Kara loosen her fist which now covered in blood.

Lillian urges the doctor to leave the room. Carefully, she places a hand on the crying woman's shoulder.

"Don't do it. How can you be so heartless? You have no right," Kara pleads. "Lena never quits. She is a strong woman who never backs down from any battle. She's gonna wake up and get better."

"Do you think so?"

"I know so."

"It's been six years," Lillian says.

"And I'll wait for six years more. Six years after that. And another six years," Kara's knees wobble which causes her to fall in defeat. "Remember the one year anniversary after the car incident? I was so desperate. I almost took my own life but you saved me."

Lillian takes a seat on the floor beside the younger woman. "I slapped you."

"You did." A dry laugh escapes from Kara's mouth. "I was sad, heartbroken, upset. At God. Her. Myself." Kara turns to Lillian. "You took the knife from my hand and said a woman who sacrifices her life for the one she loves is someone to treasure. How I was so selfishly seek for an easy way out when Lena is fighting every second to return by my side. From that moment, I swear to never give up on her."

"It's the best option although I cannot bear to lose her. My little princess. A girl who smiles at strangers, the one who accepts people with open arms, she helps everyone in need, even those who don't deserve her." Lillian sobs.

"You know what you have to do. Cancel the plan," Kara urges.

(To be continued)