{22}

The school year flew by insanely fast, and soon it was time to leave Australia for Malibu.

My pod doesn't know this, but Roger asked me to be a captain this year! Brody left due to the fact he hates Valley kids, so Logan took his spot, Dylan took hers, and I'm taking Dylan's spot as a captain for the flounders. It was already confirmed I would be coaching my pod from last year.

I packed my last bag and looked around my room, smiling. I had made it my own over the year, but now it was time to pack up and go back to the Valley!

My door opened and my friend Hannah walked in. "Hey." I smiled. She was the first one to greet me here. Everyone here was so nice, and I couldn't be happier here. But I missed Tyler and my friends.

Tyler and I stayed a couple even though we were millions of miles apart. "Hey! How's it going?" She asked, her accent thick. I had picked up an accent while I was here. "Good, I finished packing. I'm leaving tonight." I smiled. "I'm going to miss you." She softly said before hugging me. "I'll miss you too! But think about it this way, when you come to the states I'll be there waiting for you!" I exclaimed. She smiled as she pulled away.

"I'm holding it against you." She laughed as she looked around the room. It had previously been filled with pictures of my pod/family and posters. But now it was completely empty. The soft bed seemed incredibly comfy, but I didn't want to sleep and not catch my flight. "I bet you're excited to see Tyler." She chucked as she pulled a Polaroid of us from the campfire out a bag I hadn't completely zipped up yet."Definitely. I haven't seen him in a year, and our anniversary's coming up soon." I smiled as I remembered the crucible.

•••

I pulled my hair out of the braids as I walked out of the plane. It was the first day of lifeguard training.

My parents and I immediately locked eyes. I excitedly ran over to them and hugged them. "I missed you!" I exclaimed. "Have you gotten taller?" My mom asked as we pulled away. I nodded as I hugged my dad. "How's Tyler?" I asked as we pulled away. "He's been hanging out with Reed, they became best friends while you were gone. Delilah and Reed because very serious. Your mom and I got a cat. Her name's Moon and she loves your room." My mom smiled as we walked outside to the car. We put my stuff in and got in, driving to the nearest food place. I quickly sent a snap to Hannah.

"Nice. Can you drop me off at the beach after I change at the house? Today's lifeguard training and I'm a captain." I smiled. "You're kidding!" My mom exclaimed as she turned around in the front seat. "Nope! I got the message and I screamed!" I excitedly said. My dad pulled into McDonald's and ordered for me.

"You excited to see Tyler?" My mom asked as we got our food. She passed it out and I dug in. "Yep! I'm excited because Roger confirmed I'm the captain for the flounders, which has all my friends on it!" I smiled. My mom and dad smiled as we drove back to my childhood home. "I wish I was there for your 16th birthday. We celebrated at our house and invited your pod." My dad said. "Oh yeah! I remember that because you FaceTimed me and Reed took the iPad!" I laughed as we got on a familiar road. I smiled as I saw Tyler's house. The bus pulled away from his house and towards mine. I couldn't ride the bus because I still had to change and talk to Roger in his office when I got there, but I waved as it passed. Everyone excitedly waved as they passed. We walked inside and my brother immediately wrapped me in a hug. "I missed you!" He exclaimed as I heard the cat meow.

"Cat!" I exclaimed as I crouched down. She barreled towards me and buried her head in my hands. "She's so cute!" I exclaimed as I picked her up. The cat's small nose brushed against mine.

"I have to go get ready for training, I'll be back." I smiled before running up the stairs and into my room.

It was exactly how I left it a year ago. It's hard to believe just a year ago, I was getting ready for the same event I'm going to now. I chucked my bags onto the ground and grabbed my old uniform. It still fit perfectly. I smiled at my self in the mirror and left my room. "Who's driving me?" I asked. My dad held up his keys. "Awesome! You're driving me on your bike?" I exclaimed. He nodded and handed me my helmet since I was in middle school. I slid it on and followed my dad out the door, but not before saying goodbye to my mom and brother. "Love you!" I exclaimed before closing the door to the garage. My dad got on the bike and I got on after.

•••

My dad pulled up to the beach. Everyone was on the beach, but I got off and headed towards the office. "Bye dad! Love you!" I exclaimed as I handed him my helmet. He tucked it in the container in the back and started it. "Love you! Have fun!" He exclaimed before I disappeared behind the doors of HQ.

"Callie!" Dylan exclaims. All the captains knew about me being a captain. The captains were told to wait in here before exiting to the beach. Logan and her hugged me. "Hey! I missed you guys!" I exclaimed. "How was Australia?" Logan asked with a bright smile. "It was amazing! Hot, but beautiful." I giggled before looking up the stairs. "I have to meet with Roger, but I will catch up with you guys out there!" I excitedly said as I ran upstairs. My small hand knocked on the door that had his name on it.

"Come in!" He said from inside. My tan hand pushed the door opened and walked in. "Callie!" He exclaimed as his eyes brightened. "How was Australia?" He asked. "Amazing, I had a blast." I smiled at him. "Awesome! Well, here is your whistle, your jacket, the keys to the rooms, and your locker number." He smiled as he pushed a pile of things over the desk.

"Thank you! Anything else?" I asked as I slid the jacket over my shoulders, put my whistle around my neck, and put the keys and note in my pocket. "Tyler left this for you." He said as he handed a rose over. "Thank you." I blushed as I grabbed it from him. "No problem." He laughed.

"Well, you should get out there. I'll go with you to introduce you." Roger politely smiled before leading me out of the room and downstairs. We rejoined the other captains. "This year we have three girl captains! Callie was here with us last year with the flounders, but since she went to Australia for lifeguarding, we happily opened our arms for her as a captain!" He exclaimed as he pointed at the three of us in a line. Dylan threw her arm around my shoulders. Roger went through everything that was required.

"Anyone confused?" He asked. We all shook our heads no. "Alright! Let's introduce you to the pods. Logan you're with the dogfish, Dylan you are with the Catfish, Callie you are with Flounders..." He listed off our pods.