Twenty-One.......Feeling Sick

Flashback.......Ansel's POV

I came back from school, it was a Wednesday. I hurriedly changed into my normal clothes and wanted to head out to my friend's house next door. We were working on a school project together.

I got my books and as I got out of my room, I faintly heard, someone coughing. If the house wasn't so silent, I would have missed it. My stepfather was at home, so he must have been the one coughing.

I knew he was my stepfather cause they immediately told me when I became a teenager. My dad had died when my mum was pregnant, my stepfather was the cop assigned to the case and from there, they hit it off.

I quickly got a glass of water, but when I got in, I saw him throwing up.

"Dad, what's wrong? Should I...is it a hangover?", I panicked, but he shook his head no. "Okay, so we need to take you to the hospital. My friend Mike has a truck. I'll be right back okay.", I said and ran over to my friend's house.

"Hey, man what's. ...."
"I need your help, my dad's sick we need to get him to the hospital.",
"Oh okay. I'll get my keys.", he said and rushed in and seconds later we were heading back into my house.

When we got to the room, he had already passed out. We both carried him into the truck and Mike drove off. His body was hot, I'm sure his temperature was rising.

After some time we arrived at the hospital and got him admitted.
"And who are you two?", the nurse asked us.
"I'm his son.", I said and I thought about my mum and calling her, but I had to wait, this could be a small issue.

I filled out a form and waited for some time. Then I called my mum, and she said she was on her way. We waited for a long while before the doctor finally came back and Mike and I stood.

"Your father had a case of severe food poisoning. A very severe case. The food had already done a lot of damage by the time you brought him here. I'm sorry, but we couldn't save him in time.", he said and excused himself before leaving.

I turned and saw my mum standing there, looking devastated.
"Ansel what is the doctor saying, what does he mean by food poisoning?", she asked.
"He's.....he's dead.", I said with glassy eyes.

RILEY'S POV

I woke up feeling tired on Monday. The flight we had on Sunday was exhausting.

I stood and reluctantly went to the bathroom. My head was throbbing. I felt sick. Just as I was about to get my toothbrush I felt bile in my throat and I rushed to the toilet seat and emptied the contents in it.

Was I pregnant?

No.

I have been with Ansel for a long time now, and we haven't done anything of that sort so that couldn't be possible.

I puked once more and my stomach pain increased.
"Riley! Riley!!", Ansel said as he in and knelt by my side.
"What....what's wrong."
"My..my stomach hurts.", I said and bent a bit. This pain was unbearable.

"We have to get you to the hospital.", he said and I started feeling dizzy. He rushed around the room and all through the time, I kept feeling worse. The stomach pain was increasing banishing any thoughts of pregnancy.

He got back to help me up and out of the room, but as we reached the stairs, I lost footing and I heard bits of my name before I slipped out of consciousness.