Twenty-Three.......Distant

Flashback....... Ansel's POV

I was in my room surfing the internet for available jobs. It had been two weeks since my stepfather died and my mum still hadn't gotten over it. My sisters were really sad. Anika was coping better but Angel was distraught. She was the closest to him.

I had to find a job so I would be able to earn some money and assist my mum with the fees and bills she would now be paying alone.

I finally found one, a cafe. It had good pay so I decided I would go there this afternoon since it was still early.

I went down to have breakfast. My mum had just finished making pancakes and she was getting ready for a delivery. She normally baked cakes and sweets. She was saving money to start up a sweet shop.

"Ansel honey, how you doing?", she asked.
"Fine.", I mumbled and put some pancakes on my plate.

Neither of us said anything and I sat down in the dining.
"You're eating here?", she asked sounding surprised.

Since my stepdad died, I've stopped eating with them I kinda distanced myself from them. Funny as it seems, I didn't want to break down in front of them, 'cause they were all looking up to me as the only man in the house.

"Yeah?"
"Well, you just, you just stopped hanging around. I hardly see you around the house. Even Anika complained. She said you hardly talk to her and Angel these days.", she paused.

"Ansel, I know what you're trying to do. You're trying to be strong for us and I appreciate that. Everyone has their ways of dealing with grief but please don't push us, don't push people away, especially at this time. You need us as much as we need you to be here for us. So talk to us, talk to me, talk to Jamie or somebody but please don't push us away.", she said and rubbed my shoulders.

And as she left I could feel the tears welling in my eyes.

Present Day

RILEY'S POV

I woke up very angry. Ansel hadn't come back home. I checked my phone and there were no texts, no calls. I wasn't expected to come to work till Wednesday so I stayed home today.

I had just finished eating breakfast and was on the couch when my phone rang. I rushed to get it.

Thinking it was Ansel I spoke, "Ansel where have you...."
"Uhm it's Paloma.", I heard.
"Oh. Sorry, I thought.", I started sounding disappointed. Even if I was angry I would have been relieved if it was him.

"Never mind, what's up?", I asked.
"Nothing, I just wanted to call and check up on you.", she said.

I know Paloma, she never calls just to check up on anyone. She always has a reason.

"That's sweet and all but I know it's a lie."
"What?", she asked.
"You never just check up on somebody especially me, so again, what's up?", I said.

"Fine, you've caught me. I need help. So you know I and Parker are no longer an item."
"Yeah and last I remember you said you were cool with it so...", I trailed on.

"Well. He says he's seeing this girl."
"Who?"
"A girl.", she snapped. "Sorry, it's just she's so nice and beautiful and even has a wonderful name."
"What's her name?", I asked.

"Blaire something. And he's always talking about her.", she complained.
"You both are back on talking terms.", I said.
"Yes, how would I know her if we didn't talk.", she said flatly.

"Well, I didn't know that. How do you know she's nice?", I asked.
"Because she now works at the office. Riley, I know you're gonna laugh at my expense, but I think I...."
"Like Parker.", I completed for her. "Gosh, you're..."