Twenty-Eight.......Honeymoon In Vegas

The house seemed so quiet, had they all gone out? I headed downstairs and was greeted by CJ.
"Breakfast is ready ma'am.", she said and I nodded.

Once I got to the dining they all looked at me except Ansel, guess he was still pissed then. I greeted Natalie and had my seat. I wasn't feeling hungry so I just picked at my food.

The air was tense again, but I decided best to keep my mouth shut.
"So Riley.", Natalie started and I looked up. "We were thinking of going out on a picnic.", she said. "Today.", she added and after a pause, continued. "I think that's what we all need.", she said and I nodded before taking a small bite out of my food. "The house seems quiet, don't you think so Ansel?", she asked.

I didn't look up to see his reaction.

"Hmm.", was all he said.

I couldn't take it any longer, plus I wasn't having an appetite. So I stood and excused myself, mumbling something about getting ready before I left.

After a while, Ansel came into the room and dressed up. I didn't say anything to him and I just focused on my laptop. He left and then later came back to tell me that they were ready to go.

I didn't say anything to him as I grabbed my purse, slipped on my shoes and brushed past him. The ride to the park was silent except for the small talk Natalie and I had. I eased up a bit, thanks to Natalie, I even smiled at something she said.

When we arrived, we all came down. Angel and I started offloading, and once we came to carry the last bit of stuff.

"Angel, Riley. You two go ahead and set everything up. I...I want to show Ansel something.", she said. Okay, that's weird, for starters, she doesn't stutter.

I just shrugged and followed Angel. Great! Of all people to be stuck with, it was her.

"I heard Ansel last night.", she started.
"You must be pleased.", I said dryly.
"No.", she said and I had to look at her to see if she was joking, but she looked serious.

"I know you think I hate you and yesterday was unforgivable on my part, but believe me I'm more angry at myself than with you.", she said and I stopped what I was doing.

"I had a best friend.", she started. "And I wanted her to get married to Ansel. You know, what would make me any happier than my best friend marrying my brother? But then, there was this huge argument and everything just went downhill. Then came Cecilia. I didn't want it to end up like all those novels where...."

"The maid falls in love with her master.", I completed for her.
"Yeah. Plus, I didn't want someone as cheap as..."
"Woah! CJ is not cheap.", I said.

"Whatever.", she said and I bit my tongue to stop myself from interrupting her. Of course, I didn't agree with her but it looked like she was making an effort so I let her go on.

"But it's the idea I had about her, so I did my best to make sure it didn't work out. Then I travelled and came back just to hear that you're getting married to him, for the money and I was pissed.", she paused. "To set things straight, I wasn't angry at you.", she said and I scoffed.

"No, I'm serious. I was more angry at the fact that this was all my fault, I kept feeling that if I hadn't forced Shanelle on him, he would have found someone better, at least he wouldn't have ended up in a pathetic marriage.", she said. "No offense though.", she added.

She was being truthful and for the first time and I know it's a long shot but it meant we could actually be friends. If not so, then we could be civil at the very least.

"Angel. I know you also didn't like me 'cause I married Ansel for the money, but I would be lying if I said I don't have feelings towards him. I know the reason I married him still stands and it's not a good one. But I want you to at least know that I do like him, and we might just have a future together.", I said.