Chapter 1 ×EMMIE×

I was conflicted. Do I stay here, with Dad and live in the house that I grew up in, the people that knew me, and the friends closest to me, while leaving my life behind? Or do I move with Mom to a new place, new home, and go with my siblings, leaving my dad all alone? I was most likely to choose the latter. I knew that I wouldn't leave Mom with Chloe and Asher, even if I did love Dad more. That's why I had to go.

       When Mom gets drunk, which she undoubtedly will, I need to be there so she doesn't lay a hand on my little sister, Chloe. She's done it to me and Asher, but I would not allow her to do it to little Chloe. She was practically mine.

       She wouldn't let Dad keep her, though he would be the better caretaker, all because she wanted to be the big bitch that she was. I glanced at my big brother, Asher. He caught my look and nodded once, telling me that I knew what I had to do.

       I heard Mom honking the horn, yelling from the road. "Get your asses out here, now!" I took a deep breath, knowing I had to be strong for Chloe, who was in Dad's embrace, sobbing. "I don't want to go, Daddy," she said. He rubbed her hair and kissed the top of her head. "I know, princess, but you have to. I promise that I'll come visit," he crooned. Chloe released him and gave him a kiss on the cheek, then went to grab her last suitcase.

         I waited while Dad and Asher did a handshake/hug, patting each other on the back. Asher left and told me he would wait for me in his car. Now it was my turn. I clamped my jaw, denying myself the ability to cry. Pull your shit together, Emmie! I walked into Dad's embrace, welcoming the familiar scent. I hugged him tight.

       "I love you, Dad," I said into his shoulder. "I love you too, Angel. Remember that." I nodded. "I know. I'll miss you." He pulled back and looked at my face. "Take care of your brother and sister, okay?" I nodded. "Yes sir." I gave him a peck on the cheek and went to go help Chloe.

        When we were out the door, I had to put her last suitcase in the back, which was already crowded as hell. I kissed Chloe on the cheek, once she was buckled in the passenger seat. I didn't trust her to ride with Mom, especially not in the passenger seat, but she wouldn't allow Chloe to ride with me and Asher. "We'll follow you out, Mom," I said. She nodded and as soon as I stepped back, she peeled away from the house.

        I got in the car with Asher, who was running a hand through his honey blonde hair. "Let's go," I said. He pulled off and I waved at Dad out the window, watching him wave back. Goodbye Pennsylvania.