Chapter 53 ×EMMIE×

We were laying in his bed and I was tracing the muscles on his naked torso, thinking about the ring on my finger. It was beautiful and I had no idea how the hell he was even able to afford it. The thin silver band was holding a green diamond, the color of my eyes. I felt incredibly guilty though.

       He just confessed his love for me and he said that he never wanted to be without me, but the cancer is spreading quickly. The doctor said that I would be lucky to make it past Christmas. That means that I need to tell him, and soon. 

        "What are you thinking about, love?" His voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I raised my head to look up at him. 

        "I was thinking about you," I said softly. It wasn't a complete lie, but I still felt my stomach drop. He smiled and kissed my forehead. I lay my head back down on his chest and swallowed back my tears.

        I needed to tell him. But should I do it now? Yes. I have no idea how many days I have left. My life is numbered and I need to tell him now. But what if he gets mad at me for not telling him? Ugh, just stop being a pussy Emmie and tell him. Damn you, you stupid conscience!

       I sat up in the bed and Ethan looked at me with furrowed brows. I took a deep breath. "Ethan, there's something I need to tell you," I said quietly, not really looking at him. He sat up too. "What is it," he asked. I squeezed my eyes shut, willing them to stay dry, but they never listen to me.

        A tear escaped and made its way down my face and I felt Ethan wipe it away with his thumb. "What is it, baby? What's wrong?" 

       "I um… chemo hasn't been working," I said and he nodded because I had already told him this, but he thought I was still trying it and that I was okay. "I mean, I've stopped the chemo. After the second time, last month." I looked away again and rushed it out. "The tumors are spreading and the doctor said that I'd be lucky if I made it past Christmas." 

       I heard him suck in a sharp breath when my voice broke on the last part. I squeezed my eyes shut again, for both the purpose of tears, and so that I didn't have to look at his disappointed expression. I felt the bed dip and move and suddenly, he was there, his arms wrapped around me, holding me close.

        I looked up at him and realized that he was crying silently, looking straight above my head. I leaned up and kissed the tears away. He buried his face in my hair and ran his fingers up and down the spine of my bare back. 

       After a little while of holding each other, I looked at the clock beside his bed. It read that it was a little past two in the morning. I pulled back and looked at Ethan, who was staring blankly ahead, his jaw clenched. 

       I reached up and stroked his face with my hand. "Your mom gets home around three, right," I asked. He nodded and I stood up. "I should go. Um, I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" He nodded and stood up, pressing a kiss to my trembling lips. 

       "I love you," he whispered. I pushed back the urge to cry again. Dammit Emmorie, stop being such a big, blubbering baby. "I love you too," I whispered back.

        I pulled on my clothes and shoes then walked downstairs with Ethan who left me at the door after another kiss and I walked home in the twilight lit night.

       The kitchen lights were on, which was unusual for this time of night. I walked inside and looked around the living room then walked through into the kitchen. The light was on, like I knew it would be, and Asher stood there, leaning against the counter with a grin on his face. "Hey, Emmie," he said.

        I was instantly on alert, because he hasn't smiled at me like that in months, ever since him and Ethan got into it.

       "You'll never guess who's here," he said. I looked around, the kitchen empty. "Who," I asked skeptically. He nodded towards the area behind me and I turned around, holding back the scream that wanted to escape my throat.

       Adam stood there, smiling down at me. I clamped my jaw together, not wanting to say a word to this sack of shit standing in front of me. His words at the party that night rang in my head. Emmorie, I love you. Come with me. 

       His words were slurred from the alcohol that night, but that didn't mean anything to me. What he did after those words was the worst part. What he did after I declined was the worst part. What he did after I said no was the worst part. 

       I gave a slight nod and tried to duck around him, but he mirrored me and stood in my way. "Where you going, Emmorie? I haven't seen you in awhile. Don't you want to hang out and catch up?" I felt my blood boil and heat rushed everywhere. But not because I was embarrassed. It was because I was fucking pissed. 

       He's the reason I started those MMA classes with Dad. He's the reason I tried to stay away from guys after that party. He's the reason I was labeled as a slut and a whore at my old school.

       I closed my eyes taking a deep breath. I turned around and looked at Asher. "I'm tired Ash. It's been a long day and I need some sleep." He nodded and looked at Adam, throwing his head to the side in a gesture that said "move". It worked and Adam stepped aside, letting me by.

       I went upstairs and into my room. If Adam was here at this time of night, then he was probably staying a little while, which meant he would most likely be here when I woke up.

       I woke up around noon and got up to get a shower. I was still a little drowsy when I came out to put my yoga pants and tank top on. I opened my blinds to let in some sunlight, then I went downstairs to get a bowl of cereal. 

       I  entered the kitchen and stopped in my tracks. I had completely forgotten about Adam being here. He was alone, leaning against a wall and looking down at his phone. He picked his head up and looked at me, giving me what I had once thought was a charming smile. But now, I was thoroughly revolted and I felt sick.

       I turned around and walked back up to my room, only to hear footsteps following behind me. I opened my door and quickly tried to close it, but a steel toed boot slammed into the crack, thrusting it open. He pushed the door back and me with it. 

       "Get out," I demanded, trying to make my voice as steely as possible. He closed the door behind him. "No can do, Emmorie," he said, his voice sending chills up my back.

       "You and I have some unfinished business. I intend to finish it." He came closer and i tried to push him back, but I was weak from this stupid disease. He caught both of my wrists in one hand and pulled them up above my head. 

       He pushed me back until I was up against the wall. He placed his boots on top of my tennis shoes, immobilizing the use of my legs all together. Shit. I was screwed now and I hoped and prayed that someone would walk through the door and stop this. But I knew no one would. Chloe was staying at a friend's house, Mom was at work, and Asher probably was too, but for some reason, he trusted this dickhead enough to leave him alone in the house with his little sister.

       "So I heard you got a boyfriend, huh? Too good to spread your legs for me though I guess. That's okay. I'll fix that and I'll show you. What a real man feels like." I squirmed in his grip but he wasn't relenting. He could actually do it this time. 

        All I could do was beg, so I did. "Please don't, Adam. Just stop, please. Let me go." He gave me a sinister smile. "I like it when girls beg," he said. "But you're begging for the wrong reasons." This fucking horndog had to be crazy.

        He could have had any girl he wanted. I used to have a crush on him and I used to think he was cute. But that was then and this is now. He could have any girl he wanted but yet, he's targeting his best friends little sister. 

       "Stop, Adam. If you do this, I'll tell Asher this time, and then see what happens." That was obviously a mistake. His face grew dark and he wrapped his free hand around my throat, cutting off my airways.