Chapter 12 ×ETHAN×

Her stomach looked terrible. I could tell that she had forgotten about it when she lifted her shirt to show me her piercing. Her whole stomach was a darker purple color. I wanted to ask so many questions; Are you okay? Why do you stay with her? Does it hurt? She doesn't hit Chloe, does she? Why haven't you told someone? I wouldn't ask her, though. I could tell she was embarrassed as she avoided looking at me. 

       Chloe came out and handed me a sandwich. "Thanks," I said, faking a smile. She plopped down beside me and Emmorie. "No problem," Chloe said happily. Then she started questioning me. "How old are you? Are you in high school? What grade are you in?"

       I smiled at her and answered all of them in order. "Eighteen, yes, and I'll be a senior this year." She looked at Emmorie and said "He has the same answers as you would've, Emmie." Emmorie gave her that fake smile and Chloe turned back to me. "What school do you go to?" 

        "I go to Williamsville East." Her smile got even bigger. "We're going there this year, too. Except Asher. He graduated last year. But I'll be a freshmen this year. I just turned fifteen a couple weeks ago." I was surprised. She looked younger. I looked at her with a new perspective. She was dirty blonde, but she had Emmorie's face, except her eyes were a light caramel brown. She was slim, and not quite as developed as Emmorie, more of an athletes build. She didn't really look fifteen.

       "That's cool. Are you excited about high school," I asked. She nodded vigorously. "Yeah. I miss my old friends, but I'm just hoping to make some new ones to hang out with." She seemed charismatic and chatty and I'm sure she wouldn't have a problem making friends. 

        She turned to Emmorie with furrowed brows. "Why are you being so quiet, Emmie?" Emmorie blushed and shrugged. "Just not feeling all talkative, I guess," she mumbled. She still hasn't looked at me since Chloe came out. I finished my sandwich and stood up. 

        "I should go," I told them. "My mom is probably waiting for me," I lied. I bit my lip and ran my tongue over my lip ring out of habit. Chloe's smile fell just the tiniest fraction. "Okay," she said. "See you around." I smiled at her. "Bye." Emmorie just kept twisting a ring that she had on her middle finger. I left and jumped back over the gate.