Chapter 23 ×EMMIE×

I watched Ethan drive away, and regretted my words. I had made him upset and I felt terrible for it. Why couldn't I just keep my mouth shut? I thought about the hurt and pain on Ethan's face when I said those horrible words to him. He didn't deserve them. He's the only guy that hasn't tried to make a move on me, because he simply wanted friendship. I had just attacked him. What I did was uncalled for and I was pretty sure that I had lost my only friend for it.

       I sighed and went to get Chloe. She was waiting for me and when she saw me, she ran up to give me a hug. "Hey sissy. Where's Ethan," she asked eagerly, looking around. I gave her a tight smile. "He went home already, kiddo. Asher will be here soon to pick us up," I reassured her. 

       She looked at my face for the first time. "What's wrong? Why are you so sad," she queried. I stroked her cheek with my hand. "Nothing baby. I just miss Dad," I lied. She looked at me for a second longer, eyebrows knitted together, then Asher pulled up and I exhaled in relief, getting into the car.

        When we pulled up to the porch steps, I was surprised to see Ethan sitting on the porch steps, his head in his hands. As soon as the car was in park, I jumped out, but Chloe was faster. She skipped over to him. "Hey Ethan." He looked up, giving her a smile. "Hey, kid. How's it going?" She ignored the kid part, which she usually berates me for when I call her that and got all perky. "It's going good. You?" His eyes flickered to me. "It's going I guess," he responded.

        I walked closer and he stood up. "Can we talk," he asked quietly. I nodded my head and turned to Chloe. "Why don't you go help Ash make some dinner, huh?" She glanced between Ethan and I then got a wide smile. "Okay, sissy. Come on Ash," she called. He came up and glared at Ethan then glanced at me. I gave a slight shake of my head and he went in with Chloe.

       I turned to Ethan. "I'm sorry, Ethan. I shouldn't have said those things. I had no right and I understand if you're mad at me. I was wrong for it." He just stared into my eyes. "It's okay. I forgive you, Emmorie." Usually, I shivered in disgust when a guy said my name. But when he said it, it was a different kind of shiver. It made heart beat faster and I liked the way my real name rolled off of his tongue. It felt… right.

       He sucked his ring into his mouth, like he often did. I smiled when I recognized the habit and looked back at his gray eyes. "I'm glad. I didn't want to not talk to you anymore." This made him smile. "Me either," he said softly. The way he was looking at me, I didn't feel butterflies in my stomach. It felt more like someone had unleashed a fucking cage of exotic birds in my stomach and they were desperately searching for their freedom. I inhaled and held my breath, staring back at his stunning eyes, wanting nothing more than to be held by him.

       Without giving it anymore thought, I wrapped my arms around him before I lost my nerve. He instantly held me, just like I wanted him to and he leaned his head on mine while I cuddled into his strong chest.

       It was Friday and Luke has been bothering me about the party all week. Since Ethan isn't going, and Asher had other plans with Adam and some other friends, Luke was coming to pick me up. 

       I thought about Ethan while I was in the shower. It wasn't as weird as it sounded, I promise. We had hung out nonstop this week. Whenever he brought us home from school, which he insisted on doing, he would invite me to his house and we'd do homework together then watch a movie until Ms. Caroline called us for dinner. Today though, he had to go because his aunt and cousin were visiting and Ms. Caroline expected him to be there to greet them. 

        He was over there now, having dinner with them while I got ready for the party. I got out of the shower and got the dress that I had picked out. It was a skin tight sleeveless black dress that stopped a few inches above the knee. I slipped into my black ballet flats and did my my eyeliner, mascara, and applied some blood red lipstick. I wore my hair down, hanging from my shoulders and when I looked in the mirror, I was satisfied with what I saw. I wish Ethan was going, so I could have someone to talk to all night. At least I had Luke, though.

       As I went to wait outside for him, Mom approached me, sober. "Where are you going, dear?" I smiled at her. I was quite impressed with her improvement. True to her word, she found a job at a grocery store and she was going to counseling. She hasn't been drunk all week and I was extremely proud of her. She was more involved with us too, asking us about our day, making dinner when she was home and acting like a normal mother. "Going to the party I was telling you about," I said.

       She smiled and pointed a playfully stern finger at me. "Don't come home drunk or knocked up, got me?" I rolled my eyes at my unusually strict mother. I enjoyed the new version of her so much now. I was excited to tell Dad about her new behavior tomorrow. I'm sure Chloe was already telling him now, since it was her night to have dinner alone with him. 

       "Okay, Mom. Love you," I said, walking out of the door. I stood on my porch and leaned against the column. A few minutes later, someone grabbed my sides and I jumped and squealed. "Shit! Don't do that Ethan," I warned, hitting him upside the head. He laughed and I couldn't help but to smile. 

       When he composed himself, he was still smiling. "You look gorgeous, Emmorie," he complimented. I hoped he couldn't see my red cheeks in the dim light and I still looked away. "Thanks," I murmured. I looked back at him and he was just staring at me. He often did this and I always felt weird. It was like he was seeing through me, his gray stare penetrating my thoughts, reading them, pulling them apart bit by bit, reading my emotions. Like always, I stared back into his piercing eyes, trying to figure out what his gaze was seeking. I bit my lip and his eyes flickered down to it then back up.

       "I wish I could come tonight," he said, breaking the trance. "Me too," I said honestly. Then I saw headlights coming toward us and I knew it was Luke. Ethan pulled me in for an unexpected hug. "Be careful tonight, okay," he whispered. "Okay," I whispered back. When I pulled back I gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Thanks Ethan." He smiled at me and I ran to Lukes car, which was now sitting idle at the curb. I got in and put on my seatbelt, glancing at Ethan. He was still standing there, watching. 

       I turned to look at Luke and smiled. "Hey, Lukas." I always called him Lukas, because that was his real name and it was our thing. He smiled and said "Hey Emmorie. Ready to go?" I nodded and he drove off while I looked at Ethan, who was still watching the car drive away.