Chapter 38 ×ETHAN×

I could see sunlight streaming in between the curtains and I remembered the night before and looked down to see Emmorie sleeping against me. I leaned down to place a kiss on her forehead and she stirred, turning over, which was perfect because I had to take a leak. I got up slowly, trying not to wake her, and stumbled to the bathroom.

       I washed my hands and walked back out to the bed, lowering myself down. Emmorie turned over and blinked the sleep out of her eyes to look at me. She stretched and yawned. "Morning, beautiful," I whispered in her ear. She smiled and turned back to lay on my chest again. 

        "I'm not up yet, so you should hold that thought," she said smiling. I chuckled and kissed her forehead again. She tilted her head up towards me and dramatically puckered her lips. I leaned down again with a smile and brought my mouth to hers.

       "What time is it," she asked as I pulled away. I looked around for my phone and leaned over to grab it from my jeans pocket. "11:12," I told her. She bolted upright. "What is it," I asked. Her face looked as confused as mine felt. "I don't know. I just… I feel like I'm forgetting something." She shook her head lightly and stood up to go to the bathroom, pulling the sheet around her, which was humorous, considering the night we had last night.

        Last night was incredible. I was plenty experienced, but I had never done it with someone I cared about before. That one detail made a world of difference. I had also never done it with a virgin, which was another first. As I thought about it, I realized that everything was a first for her and I just hoped that she had enjoyed it as much as I did.

       She came out of the bathroom seconds later. She looked shy as she looked around the floor. "Um… have you seen my underwear?" I smiled and told her to check under the bed. She did and pulled them on, throwing the sheet back on the bed as she searched for the rest of her clothes.

       Once had her clothes back on, she bent down and picked up my clothes, folding them and setting them on the edge of the bed. I raised and eyebrow. "What? Just because we did it, doesn't mean that we have to be snobs. Now get up so I can make the bed." I smiled and did as she told me, sliding my boxers back on, then my pants.

        After putting my shoes on, I went to gather up the blankets to put them in the SUV. I grabbed the dicarded heels and brought them back to Emmorie who was setting the pillows into a pyramid. I handed her the shoes. I slid my arms into my shirt without buttoning it up yet and I helped Emmorie make sure that she had all of her stuff.

       We got into the car and pulled away, leaving the cabin behind. "So… is it like that every time," Emmorie asked. I turned to her, smiling. "Not sure. You can stick around to find out, though." She bit back a laugh as a blush rose to her cheeks. "Okay. I think I will," she said quietly. I chuckled at her response, enjoying her rosy pink cheeks.

       It took twenty minutes to get back to our street. I parked in my garage and when we closed the doors, Mom stepped out, a smile on her face. "Her Emmorie. Would you like to come grab some lunch before you head back home?" Emmorie glanced at me and nodded, following Mom into the house, barefoot.

       I walked in after her, into the kitchen. There was a plate of sandwiches on the dining table. Emmorie sat beside me, nibbling on the edge of the sandwich. "How are you doing today, Emmorie," Mom asked. Emmorie looked up at her. 

       "I'm doing absolutely perfect, thanks for asking. What about you," she said politely. Mom smiled. "I'm fine, thanks." We ate in silence for a few more minutes, Mom glancing between the two of us. Emmorie finished her sandwich and stood up, picking her shoes up off the floor. "Thanks for the lunch, Caroline. I need to go home and check up on everything. 

        I stood up too, holding my hand out and she laced our fingers together. "I'll walk with you," I said. We turned to leave, Emmorie waving a goodbye to Mom while she stood, smiling happily in the kitchen. 

       We walked over to her yard, hands swinging between us. "Thanks for taking me out last night. I had fun," she said. I smiled. "I'm sure you did. What was your favorite part," I asked mischievously. She looked up at me and shook her head slightly. "Don't make me say that out loud while we're in front of my house," she said smiling. I bent down to kiss her nose and went down to her lips, savoring the taste and feel of her. 

       Then her front door opened and Jennifer stepped out. Emmorie jerked away quickly. Her mom had a sly grin on her face and she looked Emmorie up and down, taking in the dress and bare feet, and the wild, disheveled hair. Then Jennifer gave a short laugh. "I knew it would happen soon. I told you. So was it in the back of his truck," she asked. I glanced at Emmorie whose cheeks were the reddest that I had ever seen them.

       "No, Mom," she mumbled, looking down. Jennifer's smile grew even wider. "Okay. Whatever you say." Then she looked at me and said "Good morning, Ethan. I'd run along quickly if I were you. Asher's about to leave for a job interview." I dipped my head.

        "Yes ma'am," I said politely. I started to walk away, but Emmorie grabbed my hand pulling me back down to her. She gave me a quick kiss on the lips this time, then shoved me forward, towards my house. "Text me later," she called after me.  I nodded and walked back into my house, hearing Jennifer's loud laughter from the front door.