Chapter 54 ×ETHAN×

I woke up and after getting out of the shower and brushing my teeth, I saw that Emmorie's blind was open. I walked over, but I was not expecting to see what I saw right then and I felt blind rage bubbling through my veins. 

        All I saw was a guy holding her wrists above her head and his hand on her throat while she was struggling. I tore down the stairs, running past Mom and out the door. I didn't knock because I wouldn't have had the patience to wait if anybody would open it anyway. 

         I climbed the stairs two at a time and swung open her bedroom door. I went straight for the dude and slammed him against the wall, just like he had Emmorie a few minutes ago, except I had him by the collar of his shirt. I could hear Emmorie coughing and gasping for air behind me but I wasn't worrued about her at the moment. 

        I drew back my fist and punched the guy in the mouth and the nose, over and over and over. I wasn't really thinking much about it and I didn't really care if I killed him or not. He touched my girl so he's going to pay for it. The adrenaline was doing its job and I didn't feel any pain in my knuckles. Yet.

        I felt a hand grab my arm and tug lightly on it and I immediately stopped, dropping the asshole and letting him sag to the floor. I turned and cupped Emmorie's face in my hands, gently. My eyes scanned over her face, looking for any injuries.

       "Are you okay, baby? Did he hurt you?" She shook her head and let her tears fall then crashed into my chest. I held her, stroking her damp hair. "He- he was going to tr- try and rape me a- again," she sobbed. I instantly stiffened and pulled back. 

       "What do you mean again," I asked, trying to control the anger in my voice. She squeezed her eyes shut and barely shook her head. She was beginning to hiccup and I took a deep breath to let it go. For now, anyway. I pulled her back in and continued to comfort her. 

        Her sobs subsided and she pulled back, and gave a short laugh. "Where's your sh- shirt at," she asked, still hiccuping. I glanced down and saw that my torso was indeed naked. I guess I hadn't put a shirt on yet after getting out of the shower. I was lucky that I remembered my pants at least.

        I heard her gasp and I quickly looked up at her. She had grabbed my hands and was inspecting the bloody knuckles. "Get in the car," she said. "We're taking you to the hospital." I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why?" She rolled her eyes and looked at me like I was dumb. 

        She pointed at my hand and I shrugged. "Just clean it and wrap it in a bandage," I said. I've had split knuckles before, so it wasn't like this was new. She rolled her eyes again. 

        "You could do that, except it's not supposed to be all swollen and purple like that. Try to move your fingers," she told me. I was hesitant. The adrenaline was dying down and it was already beginning to ache. But I gave in and did as she asked of me. A searing pain shot through my hand and I hissed.

        "That's what I thought. Come on," sge said, pulling on my arm. "What about him?" She glanced at the body on the floor. "He'll be fine. Asher will be back soon anyway to get him." She continued to drag me downstairs and we got in her car.

        We drove in silence until I couldn't hold back the questions anymore. "Who was that guy, Em?" She said nothing as she bit her lip. At first, I didn't think she was going to answer but she did eventually. "Adam. He's Ashers best friend." 

        "Why hasn't Asher done anything about it," I asked. I knew that Asher didn't like me, but I know that he's a good brother and he wouldn't stand for that shit that Adam did to her. She swallowed and responded so quietly, I barely heard her. But I did. "I haven't told him."

        I stared at her incredulously. "Why the fuck not? If you had, I highly doubt Adam would have been in there with you just now. Especially if he's done it before." She bit her lip and stayed silent. I could tell that she didn't want to talk about it anymore so I let it go.

        It felt like forever before the doctor came to see me. They did an X-ray and it turns out that I had busted multiple blood vessels in my knuckles and some of the bones were fractured. I honestly didn't know you could bust blood vessels in your knuckles. Apparently, I did. They gave me a splint and my hand was swollen and purple. It was huge and hard to use but it was completely worth it.

        We got back down to the car and Emmorie gave me a look. "I swear to God, Ethan Grey. If I see you with that splint off before the next six weeks, I'll hit you upside the head with it." I laughed at her stern expression and the way she said "Ethan Grey" reminded me of my mother. So I responded just like I would have with Mom. "Yes ma'am." She narrowed her eyes and opened the door for me. I climbed in and sat down.

        We drove back to her house to see Ashers pickup in the driveway. I looked over at her. "You have to tell him, or I will." She took a deep breath and nodded. We got out and walked inside together, hand in hand.