Chapter 43 ×EMMIE×

Everything was so bright and I was hurting. I opened my eyes and it was like I was being blinded with all of the bright lights. I fluttered my eyes, trying to adjust to the blinding white room. Dad was standing over me, worry and relief on his face. 

       I tried to give him a reassuring smile, but it came across as more of a wince. But he saw and understood my efforts, and smiled back. I had a feeling of nausea flood over me, and I hadn't felt that in a long time, and I hadn't missed either.

       I felt it coming and I sat up as fast as I could and he was there, holding the light pink pan up for me and pulling my hair back. The fluid was a crimson red and burned my throat. Blood. When I was done, he handed me a wet rag and I looked up into his affectionate eyes. Ethan was smiling down at me as he held the pan and taking the rag from me. "Hey," I whispered, my voice hoarse. "Hey gorgeous," he said smiling. I rolled my eyes and he leaned over to kiss my forehead.

      I looked back into his beautiful gray eyes. I didn't see what I had been dreading. I saw no pity there. Only relief and affection. I wanted to kiss him so badly, but I pushed against the lust, not wanting his perfect lips to be scorched by my, undoubtedly, bloody and dry lips.

       I looked around to see that everyone was here. Mom, Chloe, Dad, Ethan, Asher, Stephen. They were all looking at me, worry and relief and sympathy on all of their faces. Except Ethan's. Ethan's eyes were puffy and they were red around the rims. Had he been crying? I could definitely tell that Chloe and Mom had, because a few tears still escaped.

       I wanted the attention off of me so I looked to Ethan. "How's your mom," I whispered, because that's all that I could do at this point. He smiled and shrugged. "Oh, you know. Same old, same old. They discharged her last night, but she was here to visit you earlier." Last night? How long had I been here? Ethan saw the unspoken question in my eyes and answered it.

       "You've been here since yesterday morning. Hey had to drain the fluid from your lungs so they gave you some meds to numb the pain." I was trying to process what he told me and I began hacking and coughing and Ethan held the pan out again. I took it and got sick again, the coughing was hurting my chest because it was dry and wheezy.

       He pulled my hair back again, one hand holding my hair and the other rubbing my back gently while I held the bed pan. I finished again and he took the pan and went into the little bathroom in the corner, flushing its contents down the toilet.

       He came back out and set the pan on the rolling table beside the bed and then sat in the chair that was placed right beside the bed. The nurse walked in then and glanced around. Her eyes landed on me and she gave me a big, warm smile. I tried to smile back after wiping my lips again with the rag.

       "Hey, doll. I'm glad to see you're finally up," the nurse said. She had a warm smile and kind, caramel colored eyes that reminded me of Chloe. Her skin was a smooth chocolate color and she wore scrubs with little pandas on them, even though this wasn't the pediatric center.

      "I'm nurse Carmen, and I have been waiting for you to get up so I could see that beautiful smile," she said as she walked towards me, checking the monitors and the IV drip.

      "Nice to meet you," I rasped. I was already tired and felt like dropping back to my previous unconscious state. Carmen went to Mom and they both spoke in hushed tones before nurse Carmen walked out and left the room.

       "What did she say," I asked, lazily. My eyelids were getting heavier and it took effort to hold them up. "She was just saying that the doctor will be here shortly, but you'll need to rest." I took a deep breath, feeling my chest closing in again. I nodded and then fell into the dark, dreamless sleep.